ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

parcel machines

An 'unofficial' forum for those who either work for Royal Mail or are looking to work for Royal Mail through the Angard Staffing Agency.This is an open forum.
dodado

parcel machines

Post by dodado »

As I understand it Leeds, Plymouth & Exeter MC's will have a parcel sorting machine installed this year. Can anyone yet explain the genuine impact this will have on Angard workers, (not the usual generalisations).

Lockardian
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Re: parcel machines

Post by Lockardian »

Do you mean LPSMs (for sorting large items)?

Leeds and Plymouth (and possibly Exeter) already have PSMs.

I’m surprised to learn that further parcel sorting machines are to be installed in Mail Centres when so much work is now being diverted to the Hubs. I assume these would chiefly be for inward sorting.
dodado

Post by dodado »

Exeter doesn't to date have any parcel sorting machine. My understanding is the machine to be installed will sort smaller parcels up to just over shoe box size. To be up & running by October 2024
PDAHappy

Post by PDAHappy »

The impact in my MC when the PSM came in was a reduction in FT headcount especially at night.The majority of FT’s are left to sort bulk and small parcels for one reason or another don’t or can’t go through the PSM.We’ve reduced the number of belts working at least a third over the last year.For Angard this has meant there is still work at nights, late shifts and weekends to pick up the work the FT’s can’t process in time.
RM staff resistant to Angard staff getting trained on the PSM as they are paid an additional shift allowance and this will reduce their opportunities for O/T especially at the weekends.
If you are lucky enough to be trained on the PSM there are several roles (none of which are particularly difficult) loading the yorks into the automatic tipper which feeds two white plastic yorks into the machine, cutting and tipping bags of small parcels directly onto the conveyor belt.Placing small parcels on a white line on a conveyor belt as it passes and rejecting oversized parcels.Replacing fullyorks with empty ones.Sorting the rejected parcels for hand sorting in the belt or bullring.Angard normally end up replacing Yorks as this is the most disliked task by the FT’s.
Being trained on the PSM also means you may get more shifts at the weekends but I wouldn’t hold my breath.