ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

How does Angard work...

An 'unofficial' forum for those who either work for Royal Mail or are looking to work for Royal Mail through the Angard Staffing Agency.This is an open forum.
norris9

How does Angard work...

Post by norris9 »

Hi, just wondering how Angard works....

So it's essentially an agency that is part of Royal Mail that looks for people who want to work for Royal Mail casually? - is this correct?

So if I was to sign up with Angard, would they then put me on a list of people available to work for Royal Mail within an area of the country, and then when any Royal Mail office is short staffed Angard would call me up and ask me to go to X office?

Are you guys mostly called up on the day that Royal Mail need you? - or is it planned/arranged in advance?...

I assume it's up to you if you take on the offer of work?...

What happens if you don't take on offers of work - does Angard 'punish' you for this, ie. drop you down a seniority list?

TobysPaw

Re: How does Angard work...

Post by TobysPaw »

I’ll answer some of that, I’m sure others will add more.

You’re basically correct on the first point, Angard supply casual staff to Royal Mail, the workers are not tied into a contract in terms of having to work set hours/days and many (most?) would have other jobs, or are semi-retired.

When you sign up you’re normally given a set-site, eg Gatwick or Croydon, it will usually be your nearest one and obviously depends whereabouts in the country you’re based. While you may occasionally get offered work at other sites, the vast vast majority of your job offers will be for work at your allocated site.

Mostly called up (I should add by email not phone) on the day. Occasionally booked in advance, you can set your availability but it doesn’t seem to change much. Emails offering shifts can arrive as little as one hour (or even less) before the shift starts. A lot of the time you’ll get at least a few hours notice but shifts go very quickly, you need to reply to the emails almost straightaway.

You don’t get punished as such, I’ve had breaks of nine months or more and still been getting emails for shifts, although not as many. I don’t actually know if they prioritise really active workers.

Some will tell you not everyone is equal when it comes to getting shifts, I don’t actually know if that’s true but it’s possible. From what I’ve seen when I work there (which is rarely) some
of the same Angard people are always there.
norris9

Post by norris9 »

TobysPaw wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 08:56
I’ll answer some of that, I’m sure others will add more.

You’re basically correct on the first point, Angard supply casual staff to Royal Mail, the workers are not tied into a contract in terms of having to work set hours/days and many (most?) would have other jobs, or are semi-retired.

When you sign up you’re normally given a set-site, eg Gatwick or Croydon, it will usually be your nearest one and obviously depends whereabouts in the country you’re based. While you may occasionally get offered work at other sites, the vast vast majority of your job offers will be for work at your allocated site.

Mostly called up (I should add by email not phone) on the day. Occasionally booked in advance, you can set your availability but it doesn’t seem to change much. Emails offering shifts can arrive as little as one hour (or even less) before the shift starts. A lot of the time you’ll get at least a few hours notice but shifts go very quickly, you need to reply to the emails almost straightaway.

You don’t get punished as such, I’ve had breaks of nine months or more and still been getting emails for shifts, although not as many. I don’t actually know if they prioritise really active workers.

Some will tell you not everyone is equal when it comes to getting shifts, I don’t actually know if that’s true but it’s possible. From what I’ve seen when I work there (which is rarely) some
of the same Angard people are always there.
This is great info, thanks....

I am working for Royal Mail, but want to, I guess you could say 'semi-retire'.... I don't want to be working 5 day weeks, walking 10 miles a day + I don't need the money that brings, but I'd like to continue working for Royal Mail for the odd day here and there....

Not sure if the only option to reduce hours would be to join Angard.
MailSorter10

Post by MailSorter10 »

I get all my shifts assigned in Joinedup in advance 1-2 weeks ahead. Sometimes they are cancelled on the day. I work night shifts at MC.
There are also emails being sent, but so far, I managed to get only 2 shifts this way, even if I responded straight away and they were night shifts as well. After looking at Sunday rates posted here, it make sense to book me on Sunday night, instead of someone on AWR rate.

I see the same people on most days and some people only from time to time.