ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Correct procedure when shift start time is changed?

An 'unofficial' forum for those who either work for Royal Mail or are looking to work for Royal Mail through the Angard Staffing Agency.This is an open forum.
TobysPaw

Correct procedure when shift start time is changed?

Post by TobysPaw »

Hi all,

I'll preface this by saying I am aware there is maybe no 'correct' procedure but:

Short Saturday shift booked today at my local MC: 1800-2100, I live reasonably close so I have no problem with short shifts. About 15:15 I get a message saying the shift start time was changed to 17:00, due to another commitment I knew I was not going to be able to get there an hour earlier, and it's quite short notice to be finding out - less than two hours before the shift would now be beginning at it's new time.

I felt I had no option except to cancel the shift, which I'm fine with, but I am concerned I will get penalised for a late cancellation, even though I was quite happy to attend at the agreed time. What should I have done? Cancel as I did, or turn up at the original time and ignore the amended time, or something else?

Incidentally, while I am using today's shift as an example, this is by no means the first time it has happened. Very typical is me having an 18:30-22:00 weekday evening shift booked, and it getting amended to a start of 16:30 or 17:00 which I can never do due to my main job.

Thanks.

Lockardian
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Re: Correct procedure when shift start time is changed?

Post by Lockardian »

This used to happen quite a lot at our Mail Centre.

What I always did was send a message on JoinedUp saying sorry, but I couldn’t start earlier due to other commitments. This message will be seen by the shift manager or similar at RM as well as Angard. Normally, I would get a reply saying “no problem, just come in at the original time”. On the odd occasion I received no reply, there was never an issue if I just turned up at the later time (and the evidence was there that I had informed them).

I imagine they would rather have you there to cover most of the shift than not at all, as you possibly wouldn’t have been replaced at short notice.