ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

The work is so boring

An 'unofficial' forum for those who either work for Royal Mail or are looking to work for Royal Mail through the Angard Staffing Agency.This is an open forum.
TobysPaw

The work is so boring

Post by TobysPaw »

Hi everyone, first post - trigger warning lol, this post may annoy some people, so apologies in advance.

I've recently started doing some parcel sorter shifts for Angard, (I've probably done 8-10 shifts in total) it's not my main job, just fancied something a bit different and of course nobody would say no to making extra cash.

My problem is I just find it so utterly boring, even the 3.5 or 4 hour shifts seem to drag on forever, let alone the longer ones. It's not like I'm lazy, I've been working for 20 years in various roles and while some of those were on occasion a bit dull, they were always manageable, but this is something beyond it just being dull. I've tried listening to music/audiobooks while on shift which helps a bit but not very much.

I just wondered what other people's thoughts are. Do you eventually get into a rhythm and the time passes quicker?

For anyone reading this thinking 'I should consider myself lucky to get shifts at all' - I can totally accept that. Curious to get other viewpoints on this. Thanks

seesred
EX ROYAL MAIL

Re: The work is so boring

Post by seesred »

It is boring. There's not much else to say about it. But it is less boring than some jobs I've had, it's not difficult, it's physically active and it's not staring at a screen all day. Even so, I start counting down the time from the second I start until I finish, and it's a challenge to see how long I can go without checking the clock. Three-and-a-half hours is long enough for me, and I wonder what happens to the brains of people who spend longer at the job than that.
pleb

Post by pleb »

I have got a two until ten pm shift today. Welcome to hell.
NWpostie

Post by NWpostie »

Think of the money, there's worse jobs.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
baldrick
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by baldrick »

I used to listen to Radio 4 if I could get reception. Chatting to someone you are working with helps to take your mind of the drudgery.
Or just switch off, sort on autopilot with your mind elsewhere. It gets easier to cope with in time.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by aiden01 »

pleb wrote:
03 Jan 2023, 11:08
I have got a two until ten pm shift today. Welcome to hell.
Nobody is forcing you obviously need the money like the rest of us.
TobysPaw

Post by TobysPaw »

Thanks everyone who has replied for the feedback. Was interesting to get other perspectives. I'll persevere with the odd shift here and there. Cheers
SimonLS

Post by SimonLS »

Odd shift is all it seems now. So quiet. One four hour shift so far this week in my MC.
jimmyslim

Post by jimmyslim »

Friendly banter and having a laugh is one way of making time go quicker. Before anyone says your not doing your job properly i assure you the work gets done. Just standing there in a world of your own with your headphones and not talking to anyone makes it go slow.
TobysPaw

Post by TobysPaw »

jimmyslim wrote:
09 Jan 2023, 19:07
Friendly banter and having a laugh is one way of making time go quicker. Before anyone says your not doing your job properly i assure you the work gets done. Just standing there in a world of your own with your headphones and not talking to anyone makes it go slow.
There’s never been anyone to talk to. Most of the time it’s just opening bags and loading them onto the conveyor, or throwing on large parcels to another conveyor, or pushing yorks around. It’s been very solitary work in my experience.