ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Amazon urged not to cut down 200-year-old oak on site of massive new distribution centre in East Yorkshire

Competitors and other mail organisations around the world news and discussion.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Amazon urged not to cut down 200-year-old oak on site of massive new distribution centre in East Yorkshire

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/pe ... re-4439298

Thousands of people have signed a petition seeking a last minute reprieve for a veteran oak, which is due to be felled to make way for a massive Amazon distribution centre in East Yorkshire.

Work is about to start on fields at Melton West Business Park, near North Ferriby, two years after the scheme was approved, despite 1,300 objections.

Residents raised concerns over air and noise pollution, lorries parking overnight in nearby lanes and the noise of reversing HGVs late at night.

Locals say fencing going up on the field is already stopping wildlife moving around.

Now locals are hoping the online retail giant will show goodwill by either incorporating the oak, referred to as T3, which is at least 200 years old, into the development or digging it up and replanting it in the public open space about 500m away.

The petition, with 3,671 signatures, was handed to ward councillor Margaret Corless in front of another veteran oak, T4. That also was due to be felled, but following pressure from locals has been placed under a "watching brief". However residents are still concerned it could be affected.

Coun Corless said a positive response from Amazon would be an "excellent opportunity to show how it intends to work with the local community". She added: "I think (the development) will change the way of life for many residents permanently; it's absolutely massive and will have a devastating impact on the village."

Amazon said they were “continuing to look at all options for the site” and would comply with the planning consent.

TV presenter Julia Bradbury suggested on X, formerly known as Twitter, making a "hole in the ceiling to allow the oak to become part of the warehouse". She tweeted: "We have to learn to live alongside nature, not just destroy it".

Veteran oaks with their huge trunks support a wide diversity of wildlife. Badgers, wood mice, butterflies and woodpeckers and jays are among the many animals that need it for food, while oaks also host hundreds of lichens, liverworts and mosses. Organiser Jo Arro said: "(Amazon founder) Jeff Bezos has an Earth Fund which plants lots of trees. Why not save a veteran tree? If they are serious about their climate commitments they should look at relocating it. It's been done in the UK, America and Japan."

Residents turned out in the rain, showing the strength of feeling locally. The nearest home to the facility, which will stand up to 25m high and operate 24/7, is just 50m away. Paul Sexton said: "It's just the loss of the greenspace and somewhere to walk. I find it incredible that there's a national walking trail 50 yards away and they put this massive edifice here."

Julie Bentley, who handed over the petition, said: “It’s horrendous. People who live nearby get beautiful sunsets. All you’ll see is a wall.”

Duncan Ross added: “The council have totally ignored us. We pay our council tax – that’s tax without representation. They’ve ignored the whole village.” Earlier this year Amazon decided not to appeal Kirklees Council's refusal of planning permission for a site close to junction 26 of the M62 at Chain Bar.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."