ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Very Aussie sign warns postie about 'special' mailbox intruder

Competitors and other mail organisations around the world news and discussion.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Very Aussie sign warns postie about 'special' mailbox intruder

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://au.news.yahoo.com/very-aussie-s ... 18576.html

An Aussie family has sent a warning to posties to watch out for a new resident hiding in their mailbox. Sharing a photo and video to Facebook, the mother-of-two revealed exactly who had moved in.

In the image, a sign can be seen hanging off the letterbox on a rural property, with the body of a long reptile hanging out. "Snake hibernating inside," the note reads. "Please put mail on top under the rock! Thanks."

"Just thought I'd share our good old mate," the woman explained in the caption. "He is always around."

Social media users hailed the sight as something that would happen "only in Australia". "This is the sort of mail I would prefer," one user responded, while another described the surprise guest as "beautiful and special". "Gorgeous, love that he's got a little safe spot for a snooze," commented someone else.

Don't get too close
Snake catcher Sean Cade from Australian Snake Catchers explained that the carpet python isn't venomous, but said the reptile could still do some serious damage with its razor-sharp teeth.

He agreed it was a good idea for a warning sign to be attached to the mailbox. "The people are obviously comfortable with the snake being there and it's a good thing that they're happy for it to be there, but that doesn't mean the postman isn't going to stick his hand in there and it's not going to attack him," Cade told Yahoo News Australia.

"That snake would probably have upwards of 100 teeth and they recurve so when they grab prey the prey can't get away."

While an attack could cause someone to "bleed quite a bit", there is also the chance that the snake's teeth could break off and the wound could become infected. "Although it's a carpet python, it's not without its complications," Cade said.

Real reason for the snake’s hideout

As for "hibernating", Cade explained that for snakes it's called brumation, which are sporadic bursts of activity, but it's not the right season for it. Instead, the reptile expert believes the snake could have potentially taken up residence inside the letterbox because it's shedding its skin.

"Their eyesight is very poor at the best of times and when they're shedding their skin it's even more so because they shed their eye scales as well," he explained. "So they have their eye scales come away from their eyes and their eyesight is very poor, so they're susceptible to predators and things, so it very well may have just gone in there.

"So it could be in that process, which could take a couple of weeks depending on the health of the snake, or maybe it was trying to get away from a predator."
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."

qwerty2

Re: Very Aussie sign warns postie about 'special' mailbox intruder

Post by qwerty2 »

Now we know where Simon Thompson went