ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

DPD courier, 49, who was working seven-day weeks and up to 14 hours at a time ahead of Black Friday is found dead behind the wheel of his van

Competitors and other mail organisations around the world news and discussion.This is an open forum.
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

DPD courier, 49, who was working seven-day weeks and up to 14 hours at a time ahead of Black Friday is found dead behind the wheel of his van

Post by POSTMAN »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... riday.html

A courier has died after working seven days a week in the run-up to Black Friday

Warren Norton, 49, died in his vehicle working ahead of Black Friday
He was found slumped over the wheel after he worked a 7-day week
CPR and a defibrillator was used but he was pronounced dead at the DPD depot
Couriers are usually self-employed, delivering more than 150 parcels a day

Warren Norton, 49, was found dead in his vehicle working ahead of Black Friday. He had reportedly been working seven days a week to try and deliver as many parcels as possible

'Warren has been working all the hours under the sun recently to deliver as many parcels as he could,' a source told the paper.

'The managers try to coax you into working more days and longer hours because they know we’re self-employed.

'The warehouse floor must be cleared of parcels at all costs.'

Workers who found him initially thought he was sleeping in his van from exhaustion. They tapped on the window when they spotted him but he didn't respond.

Other couriers then smashed his window after he didn't move. He fell out of the van and on to the floor when they opened the door.

CPR and a defibrillator was used but he was pronounced dead at the scene as he lay on the warehouse floor.

CPR and a defibrillator was used but Norton was pronounced dead at the scene. He leaves behind a 14-year-old daughter

Norton, who leaves behind a 14-year-old daughter, worked for DPD for around two years.

Workers are often self employed, starting from 6am and working till late in the day, sometimes delivering more than 150 parcels per day.

'Our thoughts are with his family and friends at this moment,' said a DPD spokesman.

Norton had worked for DPD for around two years. Couriers are often self employed, working long hours starting from 6am and ending late in the evening
I Wrote
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.

NWpostie

Re: DPD courier, 49, who was working seven-day weeks and up to 14 hours at a time ahead of Black Friday is found dead behind the wheel of his van

Post by NWpostie »

It could be any of us if Royal Mail wins the strike, forcing us into becoming self employed drivers.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
Chris19

Re: DPD courier, 49, who was working seven-day weeks and up to 14 hours at a time ahead of Black Friday is found dead behind the wheel of his van

Post by Chris19 »

Awful, deepest condolences to his daughter & family. RIP Warren.
nutcracker
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by nutcracker »

Had a few sudden death incidents with opgs at jubilee mc over the last few years.

A pretty unsupportive work environment at jubilee really did not help those colleagues and probably made things a hell of a lot worse for them.

Talking to an ex dpd the other day it’s a really shitty company and something like this story won’t change anything as the public don’t really care so long as they receive their tat….and it’s a common theme amongst a lot of low paid corporate jobs across the uk.

IMO the union reps at jubilee across all shifts really do challenge some quite extreme managerial behaviours, hate to think what managers will be like if this dispute goes tits up
Beanyjazz wrote:
23 Nov 2023, 08:35
'Look at me Mummy, I made £25, and it only cost me 1 knee'. Get a life.
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by Navalron »

RIP, MATE. This bring home what that little xxxxx Simon wants. You just have to look at how many parcels these poor workers have to deliver and some of them can't even see their car mirrors for parcels. I was talking to an Amazon driver the other day and they get a ,daily rate, now no matter how many parcels they deliver. Yous need to stay strong boys and girls. I honestly think the way forward is for the union to ballot again but use work to rule. Reps would need to vigorously enforce it. That way the mail would turn into a shitshow but the posties wouldn't be loosing wages and being forced to cross picket lines due to cash problems.