not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Profits down, shares down, are we doomed?

29 Jan 2019, 09:58

Futures not looking good!
Such a busy Christmas yet profits are down.

http://www.cityam.com/272361/royal-mail ... send-fewer

29 Jan 2019, 10:51

Maybe if they didn't pay Rico so much money and a big golden handshake to moira it wouldn't have been so bad..
Maybe it's time to make the managers tighten their belts by doing away with their bonus

29 Jan 2019, 11:13

Doomed ? As a major UK employer, providing decent working conditions and pension provision, without doubt YES. ,,!
Well predicted prior to privatisation. The Union tried in vain against a backdrop historical problems even under a Labour Party who tried to unload RM. The crystal ball was not clouded, the reality of privatisation was not over exaggerated.
We have had a taste of trying to keep shareholders happy, and that is not an easy task. Cuts, cuts and more cuts that impact on the ordinary workers seem to be the only answer to these corporations. I find it strange, because non of them seem to have any moral ability or compassion to see the lowest paid staff suffer the most, yet continue to pay obscene bonuses to the executive level employees, like Rico Back and Moyà Greene before him !
The gap with all big companies is there for all to see, minimum wage, zero hour contracts for the working minions and pay the bosses obscene bonuses for their efforts is the only way in a capitalist set up.

29 Jan 2019, 13:04

What’s the big problem they are still predicting profits of over half a billion pounds , maybe they should be happy with that than always expecting to achieve more all the time.

29 Jan 2019, 13:12

chickenwittle wrote:What’s the big problem

The big problem is the amount you need to invest to get the return.
It is a bit like me asking you for £400 and giving you £401 back a year later.
What is the big problem? You made a quid.
But you could have made much more if you had put your £400 elsewhere.
You might rightly think it was a waste of time investing in me.

29 Jan 2019, 14:39

So it`s the letter volumes that are at fault with profits, not that there is anything left to sell to make a profit??

29 Jan 2019, 14:59

maybe a ploy to get rid of the uso ? which would mean massive job losses and big savings . :hmmmm

29 Jan 2019, 15:23

If you look in to the figures. They are heavily tied in to GLS providing the profit not us. Scary times ahead letters have dropped off a cliff this January. I’m not sure these figures even reflect that.

When/if Brexit happens baton down the hatches.

29 Jan 2019, 16:44

cobrakai wrote:If you look in to the figures. They are heavily tied in to GLS providing the profit not us. Scary times ahead letters have dropped off a cliff this January. I’m not sure these figures even reflect that.

When/if Brexit happens baton down the hatches.

Most posties think their job is safe. 'we are too big to fail' , there will always be a royal mail , and so on.
This is certainly not the case. Royal mail will have to try and get the USO changed, which will mean job cuts.....or we may just go out of business. Yes we are still making profit, but not much for a company with 150000 employees. If you break it down, each employee contribution to profit is just £3300. If we don't make a profit, there's no point in existing, being a private business.

29 Jan 2019, 18:49

If you go back to the 90s , Royal Mail was always making a loss yet we came through that .

29 Jan 2019, 19:04

chickenwittle wrote:If you go back to the 90s , Royal Mail was always making a loss yet we came through that .

That's coz the govt were stumping up the cash. It's totally different now. We are a business, not a govt funded service.

30 Jan 2019, 05:42

The last set of results showed letters revenue down 4% and pkts revenue up 4% and the share price held steady at about 600p

This latest set of results shows letters revenue down 6% and pkts revenue up 6%... so no real fundamental business change, yet the share price has crashed 60% since the previous statement.

This clearly shows you everything you need to see about how markets and individual share prices can be manipulated up and down (in this case down by the institutions holding short positions)

30 Jan 2019, 10:08

chickenwittle wrote:If you go back to the 90s , Royal Mail was always making a loss yet we came through that .

My memories of the 90's seem to conflict with yours as I seem to remember that Royal Mail consistently made money throughout that decade.
In fact Royal Mail made post tax profits of £2.5bn in the 90's,if you are going to post something please make sure it is factual. :arrrghhh

30 Jan 2019, 10:49

As a postie I can't really see how this would bother you? It's not your problem, just come in do your job & go home, end of. You'll live a lot longer & sleep a lot better, switch off mate.

30 Jan 2019, 11:23

mattycash wrote:As a postie I can't really see how this would bother you? It's not your problem, just come in do your job & go home, end of. You'll live a lot longer & sleep a lot better, switch off mate.

Not sure where anyone has said they're ''bothered'' by it?

Some people including posties have a dabble in share dealing and like to take an interest in the general machinations of the stock market , if only for a bit of fun, just like any other pass time.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2