not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Share amount limit?

25 Apr 2018, 17:34

I’ve heard it mentioned that there is a limit to the value amount you can sell your shares, I was told that if you were to sell anymore than £3000 worth in one go it would result in you paying tax? I’ve not heard this elsewhere before and it sounds wrong to me, could somebody please clarify?

Also with the award of the shares being staggered will it just be a case of choosing to sell the exact amount we were first awarded in Oct 2013 or face being taxed if we sell more because we haven’t held them for 5 years?

Share amount limit?

26 Apr 2018, 17:29

When you don’t pay it

You don’t usually need to pay tax if you give shares as a gift to your husband, wife, civil partner or a charity.

You also don’t pay Capital Gains Tax when you dispose of:

shares you’ve put into an ISA or PEP
shares in employer Share Incentive Plans (SIPs)
UK government gilts (including Premium Bonds)
Qualifying Corporate Bonds
employee shareholder shares - depending on when you got them

Share amount limit?

27 Apr 2018, 22:10

Mynamesnotpat wrote:I’ve heard it mentioned that there is a limit to the value amount you can sell your shares, I was told that if you were to sell anymore than £3000 worth in one go it would result in you paying tax? I’ve not heard this elsewhere before and it sounds wrong to me, could somebody please clarify?

Also with the award of the shares being staggered will it just be a case of choosing to sell the exact amount we were first awarded in Oct 2013 or face being taxed if we sell more because we haven’t held them for 5 years?

Who told you that nonsense about a £3000 limit?
Anyhow, if we’re talking about the free shares allocated in 2013, why oh why would you sell after waiting 4 years and 6 months... and pay tax, when if you wait until October you can sell them with NO tax to pay!!

Share amount limit?

28 Apr 2018, 07:07

Mynamesnotpat wrote:I’ve heard it mentioned that there is a limit to the value amount you can sell your shares, I was told that if you were to sell anymore than £3000 worth in one go it would result in you paying tax? I’ve not heard this elsewhere before and it sounds wrong to me, could somebody please clarify?

It’s completely wrong! As long as you sell after owning your free shares for at least 5 years, they’ll be no income tax or national insurance to pay.

If you log into your online shares account and look at the ‘planner’ section, you’ll see that your shares are put into 3 categories:

Locked in – you’ve had them for less than 3 years and can’t be touched.
Conditional – you’ve had them for between 3 & 5 years, so Income tax and NI will be payable if you sell.
Available – you’ve had them for 5+ years and you can sell free from tax or NI.

On 15th October 2018 your first allocation(613 full time) should change from conditional to available, and you can then just sell those tax and NI free.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1