not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Tory MP 'outraged' that utility the Tories privatised won't do what he tells them to anymore

11 Dec 2017, 17:24

https://evolvepolitics.com/tory-mp-outr ... o-anymore/

The Tories are notorious for selling off Britain’s family silver.

Margaret Thatcher’s Tories started the British bargain bonanza in 1979, attempting to sell off any publicly owned asset that the Tories thought it was feasible to flog off under the now entirely debunked neoliberal theory that ‘privatisation would make large utilities more efficient and productive’.

After a brief experimentation privatising small national assets, the Tories went absolutely full pelt during the 80s and 90s. In under two decades from 1979 to 1996 the Tories managed to flog off all manner of essential British utilities (conveniently transferring an inordinate amount of public money and assets into already super-rich private investor’s pockets by selling our services at rock bottom prices).

British Telecom, British Gas, British Aerospace (BAE Systems), British Steel, British Petroleum, British Coal, British Airways, and British Rail were all flogged off by the Tories under the guise that private investors would make them more efficient, and therefore cheaper for the public to use.

Under the Tories (1979-1997 and 2010-present), and under a right wing Tony Blair-led Blue-Labour party (1997-2010), Britain has now endured a depressing 38 years of our essential public assets being sold off.

Now, with absolutely essential public assets like the NHS, the Police service and Schools coming under stealth privatisation by the Tories, a huge surge in support for Jeremy Corbyn’s platform of renationalisation showed that a huge proportion of the general public refuse to be fooled by a completely discredited, economically bankrupt neoliberal dogma any longer.

However, one cherished public service the Tories managed to just about get away with flogging off a few years ago was Royal Mail – a privatisation that Tory MP Dave Jones seemed to have completely forgotten about today.

Yes, Mr Jones is apoplectic that Royal Mail won’t print a Brexit stamp. He told the Express that it was ‘outrageous’ Royal Mail wouldn’t print one by attempting to point out their supposed hypocrisy because they printed a commemorative stamp when we joined the EEC in 1973.

The British public also used to own legendary car companies Jaguar and Rolls Royce, until the Tories sold them off.

And these were just the tip of the iceberg.

Jones told The Express:

The Royal Mail has an absolute obligation to recognise a new chapter in the history of this country.

It was a sufficiently important issue to attract the votes of 17.2million people – and as a matter of simple respect, the Royal Mail should be ensuring the occasion is properly marked.

It is outrageous. This is a new and important chapter in the history of this country – and they have got a positive duty to mark it.

If they can mark our accession to it then they should mark the country’s liberation.

However, one fact that blundering Tory Dave Jones appears not to keep in his locker of utter bullshit is the fact that in 1973 the Tories hadn’t managed to flog off Royal Mail yet.

Yes, Royal Mail was under the direct control of the British government in 1973, meaning they had the power to decide whether or not a commemorative stamp would be printed or not.

Either Tory MP Dave Jones either doesn’t understand how privatisation works, or he’s an incredulously disingenuous bullshitter.

Yes, one of the major downsides of privatisation – amongst numerous others like constant astronomical above-inflation price rises, the despicable exploitation of British workers, and the intentional repression of our wages – is that when we flog off our essential services, the government no longer has any power whatsoever to decide how the company is run or what they are ‘obliged’ to make.

However, in the Express article, Jones ‘said he will write to Business Secretary Greg Clark, who has oversight of the national postal service, to complain’.

What the article fails to mention, however, is that – with the exception of anything against the law – Royal Mail’s private directors are under absolutely no obligation to do anything the Tories tell them.

Tory MP 'outraged' that utility the Tories privatised won’t do what he tells them to anymore

11 Dec 2017, 17:59

Jones told The Express: The Royal Mail has an absolute obligation to recognise a new chapter in the history of this country. It was a sufficiently important issue to attract the votes of 17.2 million people ...... :arrrghhh
Three times 17.2million people go for a crap every day so does Jones think Royal Mail should recognise that too ? :crazy:

Tory MP 'outraged' that utility the Tories privatised won’t do what he tells them to anymore

11 Dec 2017, 18:13

The Royal Mail has an absolute obligation to recognise a new chapter in the history of this country.

Is Tesco doing a line of Brexit clothing?
Are McDonald's bringing out a Brexit burger?

Why would a private company tie itself in with any decision that splits its customer base almost exactly in half ( assuming many of the pro-Brexit side haven't s**t themselves at the shambles going on and switched sides ).

11 Dec 2017, 23:16

Wasn't the brexit result 51.9% leave against 48.1% remain. Around a 1.7million vote victory and wasn't it the E.U. that wanted the Royal Mail's monopoly in the postal market opened up to competition. Which led to privativation and our pensions being eroded.

29 Dec 2017, 20:23

jack~jack wrote:Wasn't the brexit result 51.9% leave against 48.1% remain. Around a 1.7million vote victory and wasn't it the E.U. that wanted the Royal Mail's monopoly in the postal market opened up to competition. Which led to privativation and our pensions being eroded.

Our pensions are being eroded because Gordon Brown taxed the profits on investments that belonged to pension investors. The useless idiot ruined he best pension schemes in the developed world. Iron Chancellor,my arse probably one of the worst in living memory. Definitely one of the worst prime ministers ever,including the current dullard.

Tory MP 'outraged' that utility the Tories privatised won't do what he tells them to anymore

29 Dec 2017, 22:51

It's a good story for the "let's all laugh at the idiot Tories" aspect, but given that RM have had lesser people/events/etc commemorated, why wouldn't RM have the Brexit date on the stamps?

30 Dec 2017, 08:51

Tman wrote:why wouldn't RM have the Brexit date on the stamps?

Because no matter what you think of Brexit it's very divisive.
RM are a private company now, businesses don't tend to deliberately do things that piss off a chunk of their customer base, it's not a very good idea.

30 Dec 2017, 10:15

"I detest what RM's depicted on the latest stamps, so I'm going to use another company to send my letter.
Now, who can I use....?"

31 Dec 2017, 12:23

Tman wrote:"I detest what RM's depicted on the latest stamps, so I'm going to use another company to send my letter.
Now, who can I use....?"

"I run a business that's been detrimentally affected by Brexit and here's Royal Mail rubbing my face in it with a Brexit stamp, I think I'll use UK Mail, Wistl, Hermes, DPD or Yodel"

The world can live without a Brexit stamp.
Why would you take the risk when you dont need to?

31 Dec 2017, 13:46

fishtank wrote:
Tman wrote:"I detest what RM's depicted on the latest stamps, so I'm going to use another company to send my letter.
Now, who can I use....?"

"I run a business that's been detrimentally affected by Brexit

Has there been one? Some histrionics by some businesses using Brexit as a cover or scapegoat, but in reality?

and here's Royal Mail rubbing my face in it with a Brexit stamp, I think I'll use UK Mail, Wistl, Hermes, DPD or Yodel"

Yeah right. Any business that is so lame as to use another courier or contract on the strength of the pattern on RM stamps deserves to die on the grounds of a total lack of business sense.
Incidentally, how small would a business need to be to be still "licking and sticking"? Mum and dad corner shop size?
And they've been affected by Brexit...how?

31 Dec 2017, 14:32

The point is Tman, why risk losing any business at all?
Smart businesses with shareholders to appease try to stay apolitical.
You know that yourself and if it were anything other than Brexit you would be the first to point that out.

01 Jan 2018, 10:31

Then read again my middle sentence of the post above.
Happy 2018.

01 Jan 2018, 12:54

Many companies and individuals don’t like to be associated with something they don’t agree with, and choose to take their business elsewhere. Equally many companies don’t want their customers thinking they are supporting a particular action or cause, because it could harm their business.

That could be someone boycotting a clothes shop because the shirts are made in a sweatshop on the Indian subcontinent, a firm selling products tested on animals or a sportswear company sponsoring an athlete caught taking banned drugs, for example.

Equally if RM issue some Brexit stamps, there will be some people who will see RM in a bad light because of that and potentially take their business elsewhere.

Whether they actually use the aforementioned stamps isn’t really the point.

01 Jan 2018, 17:15

fishtank wrote:The point is Tman, why risk losing any business at all?
Smart businesses with shareholders to appease try to stay apolitical.
You know that yourself and if it were anything other than Brexit you would be the first to point that out.

From the Royal Mail's perspective I would say it was an entirely simple decision? Estimate how much extra revenue they'd be likely to get from the release of a "Brexit Stamp!" (i.e. mainly from stamp collectors), estimate how much revenue they'd be likely to lose from releasing such a stamp (i.e. people taking their business to other delivery firms, or choosing not to send/receive items through the postal system), estimate how much extra costs they'd incur from releasing such a stamp (i.e. people contacting customer services to complain, having to respond to articles in the media about said complaints) and estimate how much extra costs they'd incur from not releasing such a stamp (i.e. people contacting customer services to complain, having to respond to articles in the media about said complaints). From that it should be a pretty obvious commercial decision ...

In any case, Brexit is (a) still a pretty divisive subject and (b) hasn't happened yet anyway. Now if the country, and the majority of it's constituent parts, had voted strongly for Leave then I can see that a Brexit stamp being launched on Brexit day might not be inappropriate. But as it is, surely waiting 10-25 years until the full success of Brexit is an incontestable fact would be the better course? (And if the incontestable fact is that it's a completely disaster, then we're probably better off not having a stamp!)

01 Jan 2018, 18:05

Are so they are sticking their fingers in again even a private company so they destroy the economy get in bed with terrorists and rig the boundary's commission so they get more vote's yet now they want to ram BREXIT in everybody's letterbox next they will tell us all we have never had it so good! Well I ain't buying it maybe Jones and his ilk will next he will proclaim himself as the self declared god of Brexit and have his arse on a stamp and expect us all to lick it!

02 Jan 2018, 10:33

RobertT"]Many companies and individuals don’t like to be associated with something they don’t agree with, and choose to take their business elsewhere. Equally many companies don’t want their customers thinking they are supporting a particular action or cause, because it could harm their business.

It's stamp FFS not a political statement. Most people probably don't know what's on the current stamps and care even less. There's no Snowflakery in the hard world of business.

That could be someone boycotting a clothes shop because the shirts are made in a sweatshop on the Indian subcontinent, a firm selling products tested on animals or a sportswear company sponsoring an athlete caught taking banned drugs, for example.

Indeed it could, but to then make that connection with what's on a time-limited RM stamp is stretching things just a little beyond the bounds of credibility.
I really can't see the habitual army of "I'm so offended" marching through Whitehall on the strength of the current RM stamp. Even the Daily Wail would baulk at printing that one.

Equally if RM issue some Brexit stamps, there will be some people who will see RM in a bad light because of that and potentially take their business elsewhere.
Whether they actually use the aforementioned stamps isn’t really the point.

Ah OK, so it's all just conjecture then....

02 Jan 2018, 12:13

The point is Tman, is that some people will see it as a political statement!

As has already been said, Brexit is a divisive issue and there’s no logical reason why RM or any other company would want to been seen taking sides on the matter if there’s even the slightest chance they might lose either business or reputation.

02 Jan 2018, 14:45

I would doubt that many of the major shareholders are pro-Brexit. At the end of the day that's who the board are accountable to, not me, not Tman and not some idiotic Tory MP stuck in 1954. That's what will shape any decision along with any potential damage to the brand and some people can stamp :left: their little feet all day long if they like, won't make a damn bit of difference.

02 Jan 2018, 16:42

All of which has been said before, but on a practical level, do you really believe any business big enough to have a "board" and have enough inter-European trading to (allegedly) be affected negatively by Brexit actually use stamps for their communications? From posties too!
What's next, "I stopped using RM stamps when they portrayed that Bowie idiot on them last year.."
You two need to develop a sense of perspective....as if anyone in that Big Wide World outside of RM actually gives a wossname what's on the stamps.... :left:

02 Jan 2018, 16:56

We all know that nobody really uses stamps anymore, but that isn’t the issue under discussion! :arrrghhh

It’s the idea that Brexit might be depicted on a product that everyone associates with RM, and how that might or might not negatively affect the business we all work for.

Comparing a major change for our country which nobody really knows what the outcome will be, isn’t exactly the same as whether you like a particular pop star or not, is it?

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 2   1, 2