not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Pension Supplement

05 Apr 2020, 11:11

Hi can anyone give me a heads up on how the pension supplement is worked out?
I am 58 this year and looking to maybe retire, I have had a pension forecast but pensions will not give me a figure on the supplement as I am still working atm.
It's a little frustrating as I cannot retire until I know if I can afford to.
I started in 1988 but have been part-time for the last 11 years.
Is there a way to work out how much I am likely to receive so I can find out if I can afford to retire? Thanks in advance.

Pension Supplement

05 Apr 2020, 17:27

It's roughly worth £58 per year of service. Mine is currently worth £1874 for the 32 years of my NRA 60. Plus £500 for the 8 years at NRA 65.

Pension Supplement

05 Apr 2020, 23:01

Cheers FAB, I have the same number of years so I would get the same if I retired now?

Pension Supplement

21 Apr 2020, 14:55

thelastsuspect wrote:Hi can anyone give me a heads up on how the pension supplement is worked out?
I am 58 this year and looking to maybe retire, I have had a pension forecast but pensions will not give me a figure on the supplement as I am still working atm.
It's a little frustrating as I cannot retire until I know if I can afford to.
I started in 1988 but have been part-time for the last 11 years.
Is there a way to work out how much I am likely to receive so I can find out if I can afford to retire? Thanks in advance.

Excuse my ignorance but what is a pension supplement and how do you qualify?

Pension Supplement

21 Apr 2020, 15:21

agassi_2 wrote:Excuse my ignorance but what is a pension supplement and how do you qualify?

You have to be in section C to get the pension supplement.

Pension Supplement

21 Apr 2020, 15:31

RobertT wrote:
agassi_2 wrote:Excuse my ignorance but what is a pension supplement and how do you qualify?

......and not working for RM.

.....and not be in receipt of state pension.

Pension Supplement

21 Apr 2020, 16:13

freespeech wrote:
RobertT wrote:

......and not working for RM.

.....and not be in receipt of state pension.

:thumbup

Pension Supplement

21 Apr 2020, 17:27

For people expecting to receive their nra60, is this supplement figure included in the figure I can see on the Rmsps website ie it gives me a figure on the retirement illustrator 1. Estimated annual pension, and estimated lump sum.
Not sure if this supplement is included in the annual pension figure.

Pension Supplement

21 Apr 2020, 18:28

Sorry, its only for c members

Pension Supplement

21 Apr 2020, 18:32

rks wrote:Sorry, its only for c members

My section C RMSPS website illustration bears few financial similarities to the paper annual illustration we usually get from the RMPP. There is no mention of the choice to take a lump sum or the supplement.
So I assume it's actually an estimate of what I'll get at age 60 including inflationary increases, rather than what it's worth today.
And going by the figures I think it probably does include the supplement.

Pension Supplement

21 Apr 2020, 21:04

RobertT wrote:
rks wrote:Sorry, its only for c members

My section C RMSPS website illustration bears few financial similarities to the paper annual illustration we usually get from the RMPP. There is no mention of the choice to take a lump sum or the supplement.
So I assume it's actually an estimate of what I'll get at age 60 including inflationary increases, rather than what it's worth today.
And going by the figures I think it probably does include the supplement.

I didn't think they gave a quote on the supplement, just tell you get if and when you leave rm?
As far as I can make out none of my estimates include the pension supplement figure.

Pension Supplement

22 Apr 2020, 04:02

On reflection and some more accurate maths, I now think the illustration on the RMSPS website(benefits up to 31 March 2012) just includes my basic section C pension and does not include the supplement.

Sorry for any confusion. :oops:

Pension Supplement

Today, 10:35

The trick with the supplement is to ensure it is cancelled immediately on receipt of state pension. Don’t rely on it being done on your behalf.

I have recently had to repay 10 months of overpayment, which I did in one lump, although they would of accepted repayment over agreed
longer term.

Pension Supplement

Today, 11:14

nightmail wrote:The trick with the supplement is to ensure it is cancelled immediately on receipt of state pension. Don’t rely on it being done on your behalf.

I have recently had to repay 10 months of overpayment, which I did in one lump, although they would of accepted repayment over agreed
longer term.

Although it does sometimes pay to dig your heels in, as this article proves: https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/pen ... y-won.html

Pension Supplement

57 minutes ago

nightmail wrote:The trick with the supplement is to ensure it is cancelled immediately on receipt of state pension. Don’t rely on it being done on your behalf.

longer term.

I am surprised the supplement was not stopped automatically once you got your sp.

If one deferred their state pension for say a year, would the supplement still be paid for that year?

Or would the supplement have to be given up once you reach sp age, irrespective of whether you actually take the sp or not. Am curious if anyone has a definitive answer on this, looks a grey area to me.

Pension Supplement

37 minutes ago

All the literature says you get the supplement until SPA, as long as you've left RM service.

My reading of that is that your SPA is your SPA and if you choose to defer taking your state pension, then the supplement should still stop. Although I'm not 100% sure.

SPA used to be a fixed 60 for women and 65 for men. But with it now increasing, it sounds like there might be nothing in place to automatically stop supplement payments when you reach SPA? Although I would have thought it could be programmed into the 'system' relatively easily.

Pension Supplement

22 minutes ago

My reading of that is that your SPA is your SPA and if you choose to defer taking your state pension, then the supplement should still stop. Although I'm not 100% sure.

Yes, I would read it that it would stop, but the fact that you are not actually taking the sp may make a difference. I would imagine if you ask the question to the pension centre they will have no idea!

Pension Supplement

12 minutes ago

NorthernBoy wrote:My reading of that is that your SPA is your SPA and if you choose to defer taking your state pension, then the supplement should still stop. Although I'm not 100% sure.

Yes, I would read it that it would stop, but the fact that you are not actually taking the sp may make a difference. I would imagine if you ask the question to the pension centre they will have no idea!

Yes, you're probably right. Or if 2 people ask the same question, they'll get 2 different answers.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1