A few points spring to mind:
1. To be paying higher rate tax at 40% you need to be earning over £50,000 per year.
2. You could fall foul of pension recycling rules: https://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org ... -recycling
3. You can't directly convert your AVC cash into more RM pension, you have to buy an annuity!
At 65 you can expect to get rates of about 5% for a single life level income. Less if you want death benefits and/or inflationary increases.
I think RM's preferred annuity provider is Hargreaves Lansdown, their current rates are here: https://www.hl.co.uk/retirement/annuiti ... -buy-rates
4. We may not be able to pay into the current AVC's once the CDC scheme starts.
5. Payments into AVC's now have to be via payroll, so no lump sum payments are allowed.
Last edited by RobertT on 25 Feb 2020, 16:58, edited 2 times in total.