not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

MGV/LGV career path

01 Jul 2019, 23:47

Looking for some advice. I've been with royal mail for 4 years now on delivery. I wanted to open my options within royal mail, so I started training for my CAT C license, with I have passed. A position came up on successfactors for an MGV role, I applied and got an interview/assessment. I didn't get the position, as I would require more training to be at royal mail's standard, so I was told. I cant get experience as I am a fulltime employee with a rotating rest day. So I wouldn't be able to get an unbroken 45hr rest week in. My manager is unwilling to give me every other Saturday off to help me with the driver hours, which I can understand. What I want to know is has anyone ever got a MGV/LGV position without experience? Cause to me it's looking like I will need to leave royal mail to get the experience, and this is not what I want. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

MGV/LGV career paths

04 Jul 2019, 00:16

Work for an agency on your day off, you can reduce hours to 24 hours every other week.

MGV/LGV career path

04 Jul 2019, 04:57

If you have completed your cpc and have a driver card contact your local distribution manger and ask for the adc to do a change over so your can do overtime on your day off. Once you have that just start doing overtime to gain experience that’s what I did

MGV/LGV career path

04 Jul 2019, 08:27

Jamie162 wrote:If you have completed your cpc and have a driver card contact your local distribution manger and ask for the adc to do a change over so your can do overtime on your day off. Once you have that just start doing overtime to gain experience that’s what I did

Yeah I have all those and I have contacted the Area Distributions Manager. However, because I am on a rotating rest day, I need to have a 45 hour unbroken rest period every other week and my manager wont allow that. So I cant work any overtime, I have got the union involved, because the email informing me, detailed that I will be given the extra training. So I'll see where this goes. My concern was that an agency work may have been picked a head of me, if that is the case, they will always have more experience.

MGV/LGV career path

04 Jul 2019, 14:37

What’s your finish time? If it’s 2pm can you ask your manger to come in late after your rotating day off or Monday

MGV/LGV career path

05 Jul 2019, 18:30

Jamie162 wrote:What’s your finish time? If it’s 2pm can you ask your manger to come in late after your rotating day off or Monday

I have since found out the (sunday week one) and (monday week 2) can be counted as a rest week.

How long did you have to wait before you could move into mgv/lgv?

MGV/LGV career path

05 Jul 2019, 18:53

Depends on if there’s a vacancy think I did overtime for around a year, try and get them to pay it at mgv sa rate so you get mgv overtime rate then

MGV/LGV career path

28 Jul 2019, 23:23

I got a job in my local Voc with no experience, I'd never driven a 600 and only driven class 2 while training to do my test.
I applied for a job which i got then I was given 3 days change over training for class 2 and on the 4th day I started my new duty.

So there is chances out there and a bit luck

MGV/LGV career path

31 Jul 2019, 19:30

raymond999 wrote:I got a job in my local Voc with no experience, I'd never driven a 600 and only driven class 2 while training to do my test.
I applied for a job which i got then I was given 3 days change over training for class 2 and on the 4th day I started my new duty.

Thanks for your advice, I have now paid to start my Class 1 end of August as I feel there is more chance of me getting a job and that's my end goal anyway. How long did you have to wait before a position became available? I am just concerned I could be waiting a year or two, and dont know if I have the patience.

MGV/LGV career path

03 Aug 2019, 21:33

9 months. Don’t drive for an agency, trust me wait. It’s a whole new ball game when you’ve got to reverse on small yards and driving rules etc so wait for Royal Mail to fully train you as the coaches understand where you are at but if you go with an agency you’ll be put off the logistics industry because it’s a tough job and when you’re out on your own you’ll understand what I mean. The coaches will give you 2-4 weeks training on tacho, reversing, loading and other stuff and you won’t go out on the road until they believe you’re ready. Good luck. Upwards 45k here you come.

MGV/LGV career path

28 Aug 2019, 16:49

Hello everyone, so I have an interview/assessment for a class 2 job. Now the last job was an MGV position I applied for, however someone more senior got the position, which is understandable. However I was told the reason I was unsuccessful is because I wasnt up to royal mail standards and would require further training. I was meant to have been giving extra training, which hasn't happened. So if I fail this assessment, and I am the most senior, will royal mail then look to employ outside or someone less senor than me, who will pass the assessment? Thanks

MGV/LGV career path

29 Aug 2019, 03:34

What Mail Centre/distribution centre are you talking about?

MGV/LGV career path

13 Oct 2019, 05:29

raymond999 wrote:I got a job in my local Voc with no experience, I'd never driven a 600 and only driven class 2 while training to do my test.

hi ive just done the same as you and am starting new role as mgv driver , all been a bit fague , im coming over from delivery , and was wondering did you do the same ????, i wanted to know if you keep you delivery supplement {household payment } when transfered ,

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1