ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

Royal Mail Advert (1986)

Reminisce about days gone by in the job.How it used to be what you miss and how things have changed.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier

Royal Mail Advert (1986)

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
I am using an automatic grammar and spelling app, your original post if quoted may be amended by default. No judgement in your use of grammar or spelling is intended or meant.
baldrick
EX ROYAL MAIL

Royal Mail Advert (1986)

Post by baldrick »

I used to work in the Datapost room at Mount Pleasant around 1990/91, in the evening. It was transferred out to a dedicated office. I don't think the Datapost service exists now.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Royal Mail Advert (1986)

Post by SpacePhoenix »

baldrick wrote:I used to work in the Datapost room at Mount Pleasant around 1990/91, in the evening. It was transferred out to a dedicated office. I don't think the Datapost service exists now.
Superseded by Special Delivery perhaps?
NWpostie

Royal Mail Advert (1986)

Post by NWpostie »

I think Tracked is the new incarnation of Datapost.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Royal Mail Advert (1986)

Post by SpacePhoenix »

What % of all mail processed by a given MC on a given day was made up of Datapost?
baldrick
EX ROYAL MAIL

Royal Mail Advert (1986)

Post by baldrick »

SpacePhoenix wrote:What % of all mail processed by a given MC on a given day was made up of Datapost?
It wasn't much, a couple of hundred items maybe. The mc staff who worked in the Datapost room were paid for by Parcelforce.
I don't think Special Delivery or Tracked would be the equivalent. Datapost was absolutely guaranteed with high prices and high compensation for non-delivery on time. If necessary a Datapost courier on motorbike or even by plane would be sent to deliver the item.
Woody Guthrie

Royal Mail Advert (1986)

Post by Woody Guthrie »

It was aimed at the business sector to move mostly high value documents or items with a same day or next day guarantee.
I suppose it was mostly replaced by the internet but we still offer a similar courier service for businesses called Sameday.
Only dead fish follow the current
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL

Royal Mail Advert (1986)

Post by Navalron »

I did it from Glasgow MLO about 1992. 2 of us AGs were taken of firms collections and sent out on a 380 with a radio built into it. We sat about for ages doing nothing (great) watching the talent in Glasgow city centre. They made our duties fulltime from 10am until 18:18. On an average day I delivered about 8 to 10 letters/pkts. Collected about the same and then dropped off at kilbirnie street parcel office. Tried to play it down from the fulltime by saying it was a crap duty with no docket and heavy workload, but ultimately lost it to senior driver at next repick. Seniority is a b......d sometimes, lol. :dance :dance :dance