ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

The old SWDO London SW1

Reminisce about days gone by in the job.How it used to be what you miss and how things have changed.This is an open forum.
MG1966

The old SWDO London SW1

Post by MG1966 »

Hi I wonder if anyone can answer my questions about the old SW1 sorting office in Victoria at Howick place..... I walked passed it the other day and it got me thinking.... this is one for the oldies!

Did the office do all the outward work for SW london or was some of it done from SW11 Batterersea? I tend to remember from my days in Royal mail back in the mid 80's that Battersea SW11 was a DO i.e District office?

How many staff worked at Howick place
When did the outward work move to the South London mail centre from SW1/SW11

How long did Howick place remain as the delivery office for SW1

When did it close and move to nine elms and is it still there. How many staff are employed there now?

Any history to /background to the SW1 office would be welcome, Thanks
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Re: The old SWDO London SW1

Post by POSTMAN »

Nine elms is gone,went a couple of months ago,as for the rest,i'm sure someone will know some bits.
VERY IMPORTANT AND INFORMATIVE CORONAVIRUS THREAD HERE
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low life c***s they have always been.
doyourd2d

Post by doyourd2d »

Sw1 and sw3 are now at nine elms
osgoody1970
EX ROYAL MAIL

howick place

Post by osgoody1970 »

think it would have been 82-83 we moved to nine elms, we had about 100 drivers on days at that time in howick, god knows how many staff, the bag room used to have about 12 staff back in the fathers day in the earl-late 60,s!!!!! factor in all the classes, A (,NIGHTS) B,C,D,E,F.G (EARLY DELY)S EARLY INDOOR, H, I , J MIDDLE INDOOR, +K, L, M, AS WELL. N, O, P R, S,T,U, lates, AND i have probably left some out, you would be looking at well over a thousand staff, an ex-howick place postie!!!!!
Martin Walsh

Post by Martin Walsh »

Nine Elms was opened in late 83 upto the Howick Place was a Mail Centre as well as a delivery office for SW1 to 10. The operation at Battersea which performed the SW11 to 20 moved to Nine Elms about 1987.

Howick Place remained a delivery office until Royal Mail decided to sell it in 2008.

At one stage we had 150 nights and 300 delivery staff and a late operation. Now whilst sw1 is now an MPU there is less than 50 nights and about 130 other duties.
mikers117

Post by mikers117 »

Howick Place closed in 2005 and the move to the Nine Elms hub happened in, I think August of 2005. I believe Nine Elms opened in Sept 1983.
mikers117

Post by mikers117 »

That is apart from the 'Callers' section, which I think, is still there.
rainbowwarrior72
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

The old SWDO London SW1

Post by rainbowwarrior72 »

Did RM run a special railway to Buck Palace? I know there had been plans to link SE & SW to the underground railway via Mount Pleasant with a loop but never happened because of the cost. The plan was to have two loops from The Mount one via NW and N and the other as I said above
Cranmermo

The old SWDO London SW1

Post by Cranmermo »

rainbowwarrior72 wrote:Did RM run a special railway to Buck Palace? I know there had been plans to link SE & SW to the underground railway via Mount Pleasant with a loop but never happened because of the cost. The plan was to have two loops from The Mount one via NW and N and the other as I said above
No there was no Railway to Buckingham Palace-The Court postmen collected the mail from SWDO.