ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

telegram boys

Reminisce about days gone by in the job.How it used to be what you miss and how things have changed.This is an open forum.
youwot!!!!!
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Re: telegram boys

Post by youwot!!!!! »

theres some old gits on here.suprised you can use a computer :Very Happy
who the hell invests £2 billion into a servic and makes it worse?????????????
you really couldn't make it up!!!!!!!!!!!

Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by Lounge Lizard »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zoTuh9T ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :Very Happy
kenturion

Post by kenturion »

I was a telegram boy in Slough 1958/1959. Like all the others who did the job, I consider it the best time of my working life. Still recall the number of "my" bantam MYF739. No call for telegrams any more. Its all mobile phones and emails now. Those great days are gone forever.
My mates were : Mick Clapham, Ian "Stu" Stuart, Terry "Pompey" Portsmouth, Chris "Baldy" Baldwin, John Savage, Peter "Winky" Winkworth and John Allen.
Where are they now.........??
Last edited by kenturion on 23 May 2014, 16:01, edited 1 time in total.
silly suffolk
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by silly suffolk »

kenturion wrote:I was a telegram boy in Slough 1958/1959. Like all the others who did the job, I consider it the best time of my working life. Still recall the number of "my" bantam MYF739. No call for telegrams any more. Its all mobile phones and emails now. Those great days are gone forever.
it was bloody cold and bloody dangerous. i used to get sent off down the a12 in the pitch dark in the rush hour on a moped which could do 28 mph max. how we survived was a bloody miracle
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by Lounge Lizard »

silly suffolk wrote:
kenturion wrote:I was a telegram boy in Slough 1958/1959. Like all the others who did the job, I consider it the best time of my working life. Still recall the number of "my" bantam MYF739. No call for telegrams any more. Its all mobile phones and emails now. Those great days are gone forever.
it was bloody cold and bloody dangerous. i used to get sent off down the a12 in the pitch dark in the rush hour on a moped which could do 28 mph max. how we survived was a bloody miracle
but you weren't weighed down with Door To Doors. :nana
kenturion

Post by kenturion »

I was in Slough 1958/59 as a telegram boy. The happiest working days of my life. Any others who did the job will know what I mean. Bombing round town on the iconic red Bantams. All part of a bygone age that sadly can never return. My compliments to everyone else that lived the dream.
buttons

Post by buttons »

i was a telegram boy back in 1961 at clapham london s w 4 on pushbikes then transferred to motor bikes at tooting sw17 in 1962,best time of my life,1963 was a very heavy winter even thou we still went out on our deliveries on our bantems.i worked my way upto manager and served 38 years service great times.

Les
rayblack

telegram boys

Post by rayblack »

I started work in Omagh head office in 1968 as a small 15 year old.Work started at 9.30 in the morning to 5.30 in the evening except Saturday which was 4.30.I was the only telegram boy in the office which was usually quite busy. The last bus home left at 6.20 which usually gave me time except when several telegrams in opposite directions arrived about 10 minutes before finishing time. I covered a five mile radius on a bicycle rain hail or snow but sometimes I would talk nicely to some of the drivers they would always help out . An hour in the sorting office every day was all part of the duty but no early morning deliverys until I was 18 except on my second Christmas when I had a small suburban delivery at 7.00am and back in time for telegrams at 9.30 am . Full pay was not paid until I was 21 even when I was doing the same full time delivery duties when I was 18. That was forty nine years ago and I am still with Royal Mail and am now the longest serving postie in Northern Ireland
Binsey

telegram boys

Post by Binsey »

I started as a Postal Cadet in 1986.
Loved it us and all the other Cadets where up to all kind of shenanigans.....

All good though...
meresider

telegram boys

Post by meresider »

anyone out there worked in NDO as a telegram boy from about 1979 im still here as a postman :nana
dazzaboy62

telegram boys

Post by dazzaboy62 »

i started as a telegram lad in 1978 we had push bikes then 50cc puch mopeds i just missed the bantam era. summer good winters horrid with the cold clothing anyone remember them grumleweed type brown body warmer plastic things & the gloves with the reflective arrow on the back had to wear gloves underneath then postman when i was 18 ended up losing job through bad tim e keeping in 1988 (fool) always regretted it . ive now got an interview for postie just hope this wont go against me.
westy23
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

telegram boys

Post by westy23 »

meresider wrote:anyone out there worked in NDO as a telegram boy from about 1979 im still here as a postman :nana
Started at Ndo August 1970 as a indoor messenger otherwise known as a Pu18 ( postman under 18)
Still in the job as a 7.5 Mgv driver at Hcn..
Despite all the changes and moaning have always earnt very good money and made some good mates over the years.
Cranmermo

telegram boys

Post by Cranmermo »

I started as a 'young postman' in 1965-South Kensington,SW7 office. Delivered telegrams in SW7 & SW3 (Chelsea) lots of influential people lived in those areas!
In 1966 I was asked if I would like to be a telegram boy (young Postman) in the Court Post Office in Buckingham Palace which I of course jumped at the chance!
There were 3 of us & 2 postmen delivering mail etc around the palace,met H M a couple of times & other members of the family-it was a privilaged position...we had a 3 course lunch every day ,served to us by servants in the servants hall.
Christmas was good-Royal household staff party in the state ballroom H M always made an appearance & we were also presented with a Christmas present-I remember getting a pen & pencil set & a Fortnum & Mason Christmas pudding in a box with royal emblem......great day's.
lw24369

Post by lw24369 »

My name is Jim Wyatt, I was a Junior Postman (Telegram Boy) at Slough from 1960-64. Riding a BSA Bantam UXV 266. Image

The Senior Boy; Baldwin or “Baldy” as we called him and our P.H.G. was Ted Freeman. We’d customised our footwear with purchased Ex-Army dispatch Rider’s boots, with long white woollen socks turned over at the top. When “Baldy” handed in his notice, I took over as Senior Boy.
In the winter of 1963, the weather was awful; there was 3 inches of ice covering the roads and snow drifts as far as the eye could see. It had gotten to the point where we could no longer use our bikes, due to our deviations into snow so deep that the bikes disappeared into it. So we piled into a van with postal sacks as seating. We even delivered to “Pinewood Studios” on-set filming in Black Park, where we had to take off roading routes to get to it.
When I had to leave at 18 to be a Postman, I got a position as a telegraphist and spent 3 months at “Bletchley Park” in 1964 for training. In the same class were two other ex- boys; one from Luton “Mick” and the other from Oxford “Brian.”
We weren’t aware what part Bletchley Park had played in WWII, due to the “huts” being “out of bounds” and surrounded by a barbed wire fence. In the Manor House was a dance floor and bar, which is great for weekends if you get a chance to visit.
I stayed as a “Telegraphist” at Slough until I was 30 and became a “Telex Service Rep,” in kent. Training customers how to use Telex machines and switchboards. Until I took early retirement with an enhanced pension at 50. Now I am living in retirement in South Wales with my Wife, Son and Grandchildren.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.