ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Bicycles! Any good memories of them?

Reminisce about days gone by in the job.How it used to be what you miss and how things have changed.This is an open forum.
KayGeeExOPG

Bicycles! Any good memories of them?

Post by KayGeeExOPG »

Royal Mail delivery bikes may be a thing of the past now, but I can just about remember a time when they were standard kit for completing a delivery. What memories, either good or bad, do people here have of using them? As a long distance cyclist of many years myself (recreational), I'm interested in reading what staff, past and current, think about them.

KG.

Mr Rush

Re: Bicycles! Any good memories of them?

Post by Mr Rush »

Well, since no-one has any stories I'll just say that we never had cycling duties in our unit but this looks wonderful (in the summer at least)...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Any Questions?
Yeah, how do I get out of this chickenshit outfit?
Basildon Bond

Post by Basildon Bond »

Mr Rush wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 21:49
...this looks wonderful (in the summer at least)...
If only the camera had panned right a bit it would have shown...
steep_road.jpg
...which even our 2013 Fiat Doblo vans now struggle to get up without a rolling start. :Very Happy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tman

Post by Tman »

Mr Rush wrote:
05 Feb 2024, 21:49
Well, since no-one has any stories I'll just say that we never had cycling duties in our unit but this looks wonderful (in the summer at least)...
That bike is nothing like the ancient dropped frame Pashleys that our place had. Then again, they never had whitewall tyres, plastic chainwheel guards and little drum brakes on the front either.
The bloke in the pic should try pumping up his tyres too.
wookie

Post by wookie »

Before the tray on the front, just a rack. The bag used to just slip off sometimes.......
clashcityrocker

Post by clashcityrocker »

I never saw a bike that looked like that.
The Ben Sherman shirt and the blue pouch - wonderful.
But what has he got on his feet?

The only good thing about the bikes is you could buy them for about a fiver when they came to the end of their working life.
Why not phone up Robin Hood
Jack1960

Post by Jack1960 »

My fondest memory is riding them to the local after er ....the second delivery and seeing about ten of them already chained up like horses outside a western saloon
postslippete

Post by postslippete »

Ha! Remember the Pashley well. Used to overload the first pouch to put on the front and cram the side panniers full of mail to drop in the bag box on the way there otherwise I would be waiting for the driver to turn up with the rest of the bags. Best thing about the job was being able to drop parcels that we had slipped to the local post office and then go straight home once they stamped our little books.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.