not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Scraped the side of my van, what’ll happen now?

27 Sep 2019, 16:19

So I’m three months into working with Royal Mail and today is the first day I’ve had any sort of accident.
The details are;

I pick up from a post office and the only parking is a crowded car park round the pack. Usually it’s not a problem but today for some reason there was a car parked in the middle of the car park. To get into the car park you need to use a narrow driveway which is both off a main road and pedestrian heavy so reversing is a big no.

Today while trying to make it out of the car park I had barely any room to manoeuvre and caught the side of the van on a wall. It left a scratch that is noticeable but didn’t look too bad and would easily be covered I think.

I reported it to my manager and have been asked to go in tomorrow in case I need to do an accident report.
My manager didn’t seem to be too bothered and said “just come in whenever you can and we’ll sort something”

What’s the most likely outcome?
I suppose I’m just worried due to still being on probation and really liking the job so far.

27 Sep 2019, 17:09

Dont worry, short of stealing or punching someone RM are very unlikely to let u go, it will just be a form filling exercise and a bit of a dressing down.

27 Sep 2019, 19:29

Its important to report it, failure to report turns it from a cakes offence to serious misconduct charge.

22 Dec 2019, 22:17

Hello mate. What was your outcome in the end?

I scratched a hire van last week. About 3-4 inches long and im having to do the driving assesment course.

27 Mar 2020, 18:32

In my experience its a accident report if a red van, they're not bothered as long as there's no damage to a third party.
Hire van could be different
I think in current circs would be unlikely driving assessment because of 2 meter rule, where would assessor sit?

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1