ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Interview tomorrow

Introduce yourself to the RMC community.Introductions only please, use the other forums for your query if you have one. This is an open forum.
WilliamJS

Interview tomorrow

Post by WilliamJS »

Hi. Got an interview tomorrow for post person with driving. If I’m successful, how long before I start the job? And if overtime mandatory? Cheers guys

BenacreNick

Re: Interview tomorrow

Post by BenacreNick »

Welcome, they will probably have you back in a few days, to complete a simple driving test.

Some delivery offices now have electric vehicles - so this is something you may want to think about as well, just in case you're not familiar.

In the meantime they can put you with a workplace coach, then with a van-share partner ?

Best of luck.
WilliamJS

Post by WilliamJS »

Thanks. I’ve been told I’m being put through as exceptional circumstance to get me started quicker so dunno how quick that’ll be exactly. The whole, sorting and frame section seems a bit daunting.
SMS1969

Post by SMS1969 »

WilliamJS wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 19:18
Thanks. I’ve been told I’m being put through as exceptional circumstance to get me started quicker so dunno how quick that’ll be exactly. The whole, sorting and frame section seems a bit daunting.
It is daunting to begin with, you’ll wander what on earth have you walked into. Gets easier as time goes by.

You will be expected to be flexible with your hours, so some overtime will be offered eventually.
WilliamJS

Post by WilliamJS »

Doesn’t it take ages trying to find the right slot for each letter? Then once all the frame is filled do you just take them all back out and dump it in a bag or does the bag have compartments for them all? Just seems a bit confusing. I haven’t even started the job yet to be fair but when I do, will the guy coaching me show me all this? I just hope I pick it up quickly. I just want to do my contracted hours and gtf haha
twoloops

Post by twoloops »

Maybe do not mention you plan to work your contracted hours in the interview 😉 the job is run on overtime
WilliamJS

Post by WilliamJS »

Do they always ask if you want overtime?
SMS1969

Post by SMS1969 »

WilliamJS wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 21:38
Do they always ask if you want overtime?
Nope but as a new starter they will hope that you will be flexible.
WilliamJS

Post by WilliamJS »

I’ll try but I’m not known for going with the flow haha. Start date is 21st of March. Said I can do the induction in the house. What will that involve?
qwerty2

Post by qwerty2 »

WilliamJS wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 12:23
I’ll try but I’m not known for going with the flow haha. Start date is 21st of March. Said I can do the induction in the house. What will that involve?
Do you know you'll be expected to work Sundays??
richietns

Post by richietns »

qwerty2 wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 16:26
WilliamJS wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 12:23
Do you know you'll be expected to work Sundays??
Depends if that office needs anymore Sunday drivers there's not many needed at ours and the overtime hounds just do them.
WilliamJS

Post by WilliamJS »

Yeah. My manager said he’ll do his best not to have us in on the Sunday so we’ll see
BenacreNick

Post by BenacreNick »

William, regarding the frame, I tend to think of colours. All the street names should be different colours, then follow the frame along until no 73 or whatever.

When you finish and tie up the frame, it will be in loops - loop 1 and loop 2 should be from the walked from the same parking space.

Make sensible bundles that you can carry, and tie them up with elastic bands. The bundles for that loop go in the red bag with the parcels for that loop. Do the same for the next loop and so on.

Give yourself a couple of weeks to settle into your routine.

I also make a separate list for my bulky parcels, and I drive round after 2 or 3 loops to deliver them.

Personally dogs and rain are my biggest bugbears.
WilliamJS

Post by WilliamJS »

Thank you for that information. Is it hard going trying to work it out? I was told I can do my induction from home. Will that be covered and how long does it take? Don’t think I’ll be able to do it on my phone
richietns

Post by richietns »

I would think the induction from home would be health and safety and stuff,you can only really learn the job on site.