ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Weekend Working New Starter

Introduce yourself to the RMC community.Introductions only please, use the other forums for your query if you have one. This is an open forum.
koji878

Weekend Working New Starter

Post by koji878 »

Hi Lads/Lassies

Currently thinking of a new career always liked the idea of being a postman walking around keeping fit , early start , early finish , no sundays my perfect job ! but having had a read on here I gather that's no longer the case seems like a lot of changes have happened , However I am still interested , I had a look around 2021 and there were just 30 hours jobs or worst not a lot of permanent ones , however I'am now seeing quite a few 40 hour full time permanent contracts saying 5 over 7 including sat and sun and may have to do the Sunday at another MC and just wondered how that works ? Would you have two set days off in the week for example and then work EVERY weekend or is Sunday working only every now and then and you have a rotating day off ? Also 40 hours does this mean you work 40 not including your half hour break so you actually work 42.5 hours a week ? Any information would be much appreciated 👍🏻

SMS1969

Re: Weekend Working New Starter

Post by SMS1969 »

koji878 wrote:
08 Dec 2023, 13:24
Hi Lads/Lassies

Currently thinking of a new career always liked the idea of being a postman walking around keeping fit , early start , early finish , no sundays my perfect job ! but having had a read on here I gather that's no longer the case seems like a lot of changes have happened , However I am still interested , I had a look around 2021 and there were just 30 hours jobs or worst not a lot of permanent ones , however I'am now seeing quite a few 40 hour full time permanent contracts saying 5 over 7 including sat and sun and may have to do the Sunday at another MC and just wondered how that works ? Would you have two set days off in the week for example and then work EVERY weekend or is Sunday working only every now and then and you have a rotating day off ? Also 40 hours does this mean you work 40 not including your half hour break so you actually work 42.5 hours a week ? Any information would be much appreciated 👍🏻
Hi and welcome.

You will be working on Sundays from a different depot because you’ll be delivering parcels from the main office in your area, not from your usual delivery office. I’m not sure that it will be every Saturday and Sunday, probably not but not certain on that. You will get 2 days off per week, at the managers discretion as to when they will be-they might ask you to work one or both, but you are not obliged to do so.
You will need to work a minimum of 40 hours a week, you should take breaks but unfortunately they won’t be paid. So yes, you will be ‘ working ‘ longer than 40 hours, if you take a break or two.
koji878

Post by koji878 »

Thanks for the reply , I really think I'm going to apply in January for any vacancies I see within reach from me , I am currently working on a building site doing really long hours 10+ hour days , so 8 or 9 with breaks isn't so bad at all as it is still less than 50+ and I like the idea of getting my steps in and being out and about travelling .

Working weekends to be fair wouldnt really be a issue as long as it's not all day and not every single weekend so I can still get things done , are there any decent employee benefits? And how would a typical day start do you have to sort or isit sorted for you ? How do you load the van if you have too ? Thanks again
SMS1969

Post by SMS1969 »

The pension is better than most as, after a year, It RM put in 10%. You have the put in 6%. You can also get some money off shopping. There are many benefits that I don’t use. Regarding the rest of it, you will probably be placed with an experienced postie , until you get the hang of it.
guardianangel

Post by guardianangel »

In our office the new contract people have been given random days off in the week ,most of them work most saturdays and at the moment its every other sunday ,not is all as it seems with the new contracts and if you do apply you will quickly come to realise days off and shift patterns will change regularly making it hard to plan ,but if you haven't got much to do in your spare time you will be fine.Not every office is the same it seems they all have their different ways of working.