ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Crown Office Network

Post Office® discussion forum for our Post Office® colleagues from Crown, Franchise to Sub Post Offices.
Running Man
POST OFFICE

Crown Office Network

Post by Running Man »

It's a long time since I've been on here as I realised many years ago that my goal in life was neither to mis-sell credit cards to the vulnerable, nor to harass PO pensioners to buy insurance products that they didn't want.
So I decided to leave.
The last plan to save the Crown Offices in my time was '5 to11' yet since then, almost every office I worked in has been given to WHSmith, the well known retailer/stationer/book seller/anything that keeps us in business for a week or two longer.
So tell me good people, how did the plans to build a thriving Crown Office network go?
About as well as the mobile phones venture in the mid 90s I expect.
"They couldn't see what should have been so obvious".

PO1
POST OFFICE

Re: Crown Office Network

Post by PO1 »

It's a while since I've been on and the simple answer is decimated. I was there for 34 years in total and finally got out with a settlement agreement after spending 2 years transferred from the counter to the ill-fated POEX call center. When I started in the Post Office in 1982 there were over 40 Crown Offices in my area. Now there's 2 and that's only because they can't give them away. Says it all.
Come the mutualisation....
PostalOfficer
POST OFFICE

Re: Crown Office Network

Post by PostalOfficer »

Long time no see, RunningMan! I remember a nightly dose of your wit helping me through back in the day!

I didn't know there were any Crown Offices left - they ought to be recognised with a blue plaque or something.

I became disheartened at being told daily how bad I was at selling. I felt like an idiot trying to do a job where I had 30+ years experience. 9 years ago I bailed out and have never regretted it.

I was lucky enough to get two part-time jobs. Both were hard work, but the managers respected my abilities to handle cash and customers and didn't worry too much about my sales abilities. It was like the old days on the counter and I actually got my self-esteem back.

I am just thankful I knew the PO when there was something to be proud of. I made great friends and we all looked after each other. Several years after I left many of them took turns taking me to hospital during an illness. Utterly priceless.

Best Wishes.