ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

SACKED

Post Office® discussion forum for our Post Office® colleagues from Crown, Franchise to Sub Post Offices.
Markg1964

SACKED

Post by Markg1964 »

sorry if I'm in the wrong section for advice

Long story short

My wife has worked at the same post office for 24 years never had a problem.

couple of weeks ago she worked a Saturday by herself. she returned to work on the Tuesday to walk in to an audit.
The audit found her money to be £2,200 short. she went back to work on the Thursday and the post master suspended her pending an investigation.
The investigation was carried out and the Post office advised the post master to terminate her employment.

On the Saturday my wife worked her money was correct when she closed the post office.
We now know that on the same day the post master entered the premises to work on the alarm. My wife's money/takings were not kept in a sealed unit.
She was sacked for false declaring.
In the last few days the post office has had another audit and it has been closed the post master also had another post office and that to has been closed after a 2nd audit. Both are still closed.

We are both sure that what has happened to my wife is totally unfair and completely wrong.

We are also looking in to unfair dismissal as he was totally out of procedure but with the post office advising she be sacked were bit unsure who to put the unfair dismissal claim against

TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

SACKED

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Union room was the logical place but most of the reps in there are Royal Mail deliveries. I have therefore moved in into the Post Office section where hopefully a POL rep will see it and advise.

If your wife is a member of the CWU it might be worth contacting CWU HQ. If not perhaps a call to ACAS or Citizens Advice may help.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."
Snaggletooth
EX POST OFFICE

SACKED

Post by Snaggletooth »

If your wife is not in a union, the next thing to do is to check your home insurance for legal cover. Many policies have a provision for help with employment law problems. Failing that, talk to your local citizens advice centre, see if they know about a local legal advice centre which gives free advice (these do exist).

Whatever you do, try to get advice early and don’t miss the maximum time for submitting a claim to the tribunal.

Also, if she hasn’t already, your wife needs to appeal against the sacking to her former employer.
Markg1964

SACKED

Post by Markg1964 »

Snaggletooth wrote:If your wife is not in a union, the next thing to do is to check your home insurance for legal cover. Many policies have a provision for help with employment law problems. Failing that, talk to your local citizens advice centre, see if they know about a local legal advice centre which gives free advice (these do exist).

Whatever you do, try to get advice early and don’t miss the maximum time for submitting a claim to the tribunal.

Also, if she hasn’t already, your wife needs to appeal against the sacking to her former employer.

Thank you all for replying

Can I ask what is the maximum time for submitting a claim
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

SACKED

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

For a Tribunal - 3 months from the incident.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."
Markg1964

SACKED

Post by Markg1964 »

Surely she's entitled to her job back if they have now found out there was something wrong in the Post office which had nothing to do with her

Is there a contact number for the Post Office we could call before going down the road of a tribunal