not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

USING SPECIAL DELIVERY POLYBAGS

27 Oct 2015, 00:15

Please can someone advise if there has been an updated counters guidance issued by Royal Mail via a counters bulletin to PO LTD Counter staff about refusing to accept items which are not been sent using special delivery but which are using the bags marked special delivery even if the bags are heavily ductaped over and fragile taped over the special delivery markings on the polybags. I have witnessed two incidents recently where because a tiny word "delivery" and a "royal mail cruciform" were still showing despite all the obscurations there were heated arguments at the post office counter over it needing to be re-packaged. Although to annotate the branches in question- Worsbrough Bridge <Barnsley and Barnsley Pitt Street(Town) offices they are probably the most nit-picking branches in the country you could deal with as it is. On one occasion at Barnsley I went with an elderly customer who wanted to pick up a lottery win cheque for the counter amount and despite taking 5 lots of i.d including medical card,birth certificate,bus pass,dwp letters,paid bills with addresses they still insisted she must bring a bank statement with an address on (Later PO Ltd customer care said the medical card and dwp letter was sufficient) and the post office I assume wanted just something extra for added awkwardness.

Re: USING SPECIAL DELIVERY POLYBAGS

28 Oct 2015, 00:12

With regards the Special Delivery bags, my understanding is that the branch got this correct. The pouches are meant to distinguish SD from other services, so should not be used for normal mail. The whole point of them is that they are tamper evident packaging that is meant to keep cash and jewellery safe inside: any holes or resealing found is, I understand, to be reported immediately to RM management. Allowing re-sealed and re-used SD pouches into the system undermines the security for all the valuables using it.

terry1974 wrote:...On one occasion at Barnsley I went with an elderly customer who wanted to pick up a lottery win cheque for the counter amount and despite taking 5 lots of i.d including medical card,birth certificate,bus pass,dwp letters,paid bills with addresses they still insisted she must bring a bank statement with an address on (Later PO Ltd customer care said the medical card and dwp letter was sufficient) and the post office I assume wanted just something extra for added awkwardness.

It's been a while, but I am fairly sure that the branch got that right and customer care got it wrong. The ID for paying out a lottery cheque is the same as any other transaction that comes under the money laundering rules. The PO could be prosecuted for not following these laws, several banks have been, and with good reason. The quantity of ID provided is not relevant, there is a specific list of things which must be provided and the PO is not in control of what goes on the list. And bus passes, medical cards, birth certificates and anything from the DWP make for deeply flawed ID because all are issued without need for primary ID.

25 Feb 2016, 13:34

We use the silver special delivery bags all the time. Everything we post ie a used jiffy bag is put into an inside out special delivery bag and then sent as normal post. There was a suggestion (by a counter staff person) a year or so back, that we shouldn't be doing it. But they have never refused to take the parcel.

26 Feb 2016, 13:55

I don't think you should be doing that because it's dishonest, but I guess that inside out ones will be almost impossible to tell from commercially purchased poly envelopes, removing all the issues I mentioned above.

26 Feb 2016, 15:55

From a delivery postman's view, I would say that the only problem that happens is it slows us down a little, and can set the heart racing a bit when we spot a non-special delivery, in special dressing, as we prepare the delivery.

On a personal basis, I would prefer it not be done but as I have seen everything from a TESCO plastic bag to egg cartons being used as packaging I suppose an ordinary parcel dressed as a special is no biggy.

26 Feb 2016, 16:12

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:From a delivery postman's view, I would say that the only problem that happens is it slows us down a little, and can set the heart racing a bit when we spot a non-special delivery, in special dressing, as we prepare the delivery.

On a personal basis, I would prefer it not be done but as I have seen everything from a TESCO plastic bag to egg cartons being used as packaging I suppose an ordinary parcel dressed as a special is no biggy.

TBT,
Conversely we have a problem on delivery if Special Deliveries are NOT identifiable as such.
On delivery recently a £6-something Horizon label prompted me to look at the back of the envelope where there was a SD barcode sticker.
I noted the 13 digit number and checking it later on the Royal Mail website revealed only it's acceptance at a town centre W H Smiths Post Office and the signature I got about three days later. :arrrghhh

29 Apr 2016, 23:30

Try going to Ryan airs priority boarding with past years payment for priority see if they let you through ? ... the bags should only be used for special delivery as this gives staff clarity! Items being sent in this style could actually be flagged as underpaid and the recipient potentially charged.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1