ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Crown post office staff to strike

Post Office® discussion forum for our Post Office® colleagues from Crown, Franchise to Sub Post Offices.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Crown post office staff to strike

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... trike.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Workers in hundreds of Crown post offices will take fresh strike action tomorrow in a long-running row over branch closures, jobs and pay.

Members of the Communication Workers Union (CWU) at up to 371 of the offices will walk out for 24 hours - the seventh round of industrial action since Easter.

The union said growing numbers of members of the public and shop owners were supporting its campaign to stop plans to franchise or close 74 of the Crown offices - the larger branches usually sited in high streets.

Officials have warned that jobs will be lost if the plans go ahead, adding that staff have not had a pay rise for more than two years.
Dave Ward, deputy general secretary of the CWU, said: "With the news that Post Office bosses shared £15.4 million in bonuses, their plans to close offices, cut jobs and refuse to agree a pay rise for Crown office staff is unbelievable.

"They're lavishing bonuses at the top while slashing jobs, services and pay for frontline staff. It's blatant fat-cat behaviour from management out of touch with their workforce.

"Post Office staff, customers and communities are continuing to stand up for the local Crown post office services they value so highly.

The support continues to be enormous. Bosses cannot keep their heads in the sand forever.

"We firmly believe this dispute can be resolved in a way that protects services and rewards staff for their ongoing dedication and service. We call again on the company to take this dispute seriously at the highest level.

"This Saturday will be the seventh round of strike action demonstrating that it will not simply disappear. Key issues of services, jobs and pay are too big to be ignored."

The union said tens of thousands of people had signed petitions across the UK in opposition to Crown offices closing or moving into retail or other stores instead.

The Post Office said the Crown network is losing money and has stressed that most of the 74 offices under review will be franchised to other locations.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
Now retired

TFL001
POST OFFICE

Re: Crown post office staff to strike

Post by TFL001 »

I don't understand why subs won't strike after all the cuts in payments they receive.. Can anyone answer this ?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

TFL001 wrote:I don't understand why subs won't strike after all the cuts in payments they receive.. Can anyone answer this ?
Some are taking action - a local Sub PO is not segregating the mail and hasn't been since their Federation advised them.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
Now retired
subbie
POST OFFICE

Post by subbie »

Subbies cant safely take industrial action because POL do not recognise ANY union for collective bargaining purposes, which means a Trade Dispute cannot be registered, which I believe is necessary in order to hold a ballot for industrial action, which then would give strikers the protection of the Trade Union legislation, so that the employer cant pick off individuals and sack em.

Dont take any notice of the NFSP so called action over segregation, no one is joining in to any significant degree, and it is only being done to put up a smoke screen to try and hide the fact the NFSP is under investigation for not being a truly independent Union or even a Union at all!! If RM and POL were worried about their action they would have taken out an injunction like they took out against the CWU.

The Postmasters Branch of the CWU will be pressing for collective bargaining rights once the investigation into the NFSP is concluded, so until then the issue of Subbies taking industrial action remains problematical.

Subbie