ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED APR 2019)... HERE

Fully automated parcel hub for the UK

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
Janet Brum

Post by Janet Brum »

https://www.parcelandpostaltechnologyin ... he-uk.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and

https://tamebay.com/2020/07/royal-mail- ... house.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The UK’s Royal Mail is due to open a parcel superhub in Warrington to handle ever-increasing parcel traffic. The hub will be fully automated, and the company has opted to deploy a system developed by Beumer Group.

Scheduled to be fully operational by early 2022, the Cheshire hub will be able to handle 800,000+ parcels per day, and to achieve the desired levels of parcel sortation Royal Mail specified widespread use of automation.

“We have seen a major rise in parcel demand over the past few years. Speeding up the passage of parcels within our system through automated sorting technology is key to boosting Royal Mail’s parcel processing capacity,” said Simon Barker, Royal Mail’s national operations director.

According to Beumer, smoothing of the parcel handling process is made possible by a comprehensive interface between its systems and Royal Mail’s existing business logic. The result is, it says, a dynamic operation that allows instant updates to many parts of the system, such as the automatic allocation of chutes, thereby optimizing the overall use of floor space.

Outlining the automation process, Beumer says that the majority of the parcels will enter the hub in roll cages. Automated tippers will then tip inbound parcels from these onto a conveyor to enable singulation and sortation to take place. Roll cages prepared for dispatch will, in turn, be taken to outbound vehicles for loading.

The Warrington hub will support the development of the Northern Powerhouse by ensuring the region’s businesses have access to a high-quality delivery service to meet consumer demand. It will also add to Royal Mail’s considerable contribution to the regions. Royal Mail employs 20,467 jobs in the North West region.

Work on the second hub, which will be situated at the Daventry International Rail Freight Interchange (DIRFT) in the East Midlands, will commence in August 2020. DIRFT is classed as a nationally-significant infrastructure project and is one of the most successful intermodal logistics parks in the UK. From its location in the logistics ‘golden triangle’, at the heart of the UK’s motorway and rail network, the Hub will have excellent road links to the M1 and M6 motorways, access to the West Coast Main Line, as well as the warehousing and fulfilment centres of online retailers.
Last edited by Janet Brum on 01 Aug 2020, 08:13, edited 2 times in total.
https://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/royal-m ... glance.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hans solo

Fully automated parcel hub for the UK 0

Post by hans solo »

thats where our 1m losses are then
grchpo

Post by grchpo »

Not losing 1 million a day, spending 1 million a day.
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by SpacePhoenix »

800,000+ parcels a day makes me think that it won't be long before all Tracked goes via the hubs
Cafcant

Post by Cafcant »

And being fully automated very few staff! Things are certainly not looking bright!!!
Decky Boy

Post by Decky Boy »

hans solo wrote:thats where our 1m losses are then
No. Investment in the future is required. We are only around 10 to 15 years behind the curve when it comes to automated sortation of parcels. We should have invested in this sort of technology years and years ago.

Have you stood and watched postal workers sorting parcels ? Double handling of parcels in every hub, processing centre and delivery office is madness ... and it is this that is costing us £1 million/day :crazy:

I can smell the coffee...and it smells pretty good. Time many of my colleagues woke to the reality of it all ???
Phantom

Post by Phantom »

Decky Boy wrote:
No. Investment in the future is required. We are only around 10 to 15 years behind the curve when it comes to automated sortation of parcels. We should have invested in this sort of technology years and years ago.

Have you stood and watched postal workers sorting parcels ? Double handling of parcels in every hub, processing centre and delivery office is madness ... and it is this that is costing us £1 million/day :crazy:

I can smell the coffee...and it smells pretty good. Time many of my colleagues woke to the reality of it all ???
Who says we're losing £1m a day? those at the top? the lying bastards who's only interest is shareholders? you believe that? how foolish!
THE ROYAL MAIL BOARD ARE A FAILURE! - CUT OFF!!!
ONE THIRD OF MANAGERS ARE TO BE MADE REDUNDANT
yubin282

Post by yubin282 »

fully automated - until it breaks and somewhere has to repair it
paulus103
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by paulus103 »

Decky Boy wrote:

I understand the need and accept the fact that this is the future but I don't welcome it.
My office will very likely lose an entire shift to the new hub once it opens - even the union accept that this will happen

This will mean people leaving the company in some form as this amount of jobs can't be moved to any new hub or existing office.