ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Driver crashes into Royal Mail van in Basildon

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Driver crashes into Royal Mail van in Basildon

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/185089 ... -basildon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A “MANIAC” driver narrowly avoided ploughing into a mum and her children before crashing into a Royal Mail van.

Kerry Steward and her sister-in-law were out walking in Basildon yesterday with their four children - all aged between six and three - when the driver sped towards them.

The group managed to avoid the car, as it collided with parked vehicles, at roughly 1pm, including a Royal Mail van, and a garden wall close to the Craylands estate.

The 34-year-old, of Barrington Gardens, said: “We were stood waiting to cross the road at Whitmore Way near the roundabout. We heard screeching and then the car came flying around at such a speed.

“We stopped in our tracks, he was smashing into front gardens and was heading towards us, we just though ‘run’. He passed metres from us and headed off to the Craylands estate.

“He was a maniac. If we had been five or ten seconds later he would have hit us.”

The driver, who Ms Steward said was driving a grey Ford Kuga, then drove down The Fryth, Southcote Crescent and then Chesterford Gardens.

He then drove through a narrow gap between a parked Royal Mail van and garden wall to drive across a grassed area to the road on the other side.

In doing so he destroyed a garden wall, severely damaged the post van and scratched another resident’s car.

Ms Steward added: “He basically wedged himself between the two cars and caused the damage. It’s amazing no one was killed, he was stopping for no one.”

Pictures from the scene show the post van with severe damage to the back and front bumpers, and the destroyed wall.

However, no deliveries were affected by the driver’s actions.

A spokesman for Royal Mail said: “One of our vehicles was damaged following a collision in the Chesterford Green area on Tuesday. We are pleased that no one was in the vehicle at the time, and that no one was injured. Deliveries were not affected by the incident as we were able to source a replacement vehicle.”

Call 101 with information.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."