ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Postman vows to fight being sacked after 29 years due to 'unsatisfactory attendance'

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR

Postman vows to fight being sacked after 29 years due to 'unsatisfactory attendance'

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/n ... ed-4007309" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lawrence Smith, who lives at Kitebrook, near Moreton-in-Marsh and delivers in the Bourton-on-the-Water area, feels harshly treated by Royal Mail after missing work time due to two serious accidents

A postman has vowed to fight being sacked after nearly 29 years due to “unsatisfactory attendance”.

Royal Mail has dismissed the 50-year-old just a month away from when he would have clocked up 29 years’ service.

He lives at Kitebrook, near Moreton-in-Marsh, delivers post in the Bourton-on-the-Water area and feels harshly treated after missing work time due to two serious accidents.

They were both in his home - the first in 2018 when sheets of glass in his garage fell onto him, cutting his legs so badly that he had two emergency operations and required about 70 stitches.

Mr Smith said the second mishap happened early last year when he was spraying work shoes with an aerosol can and a nearby candle set its vapour alight - burning his arms and face so badly he had to go to hospital for treatment.

The incidents led to him having 57 days off work.

A third period of 100 days away from his job happened in the second half of last year after he had an operation to have a tendon in his foot realigned after it was damaged in the glass accident.

Mr Smith said he had warned his employer well in advance of the operation that he needed it in order to walk and carry on with his job.

He said he was outraged to receive a letter from the manager at Royal Mail’s Cheltenham office, telling him he was being dismissed because of his “unsatisfactory attendance” and that his last day at work would be April 8.

He said: “It’s ridiculous and disgusting. I find myself being sacked for having a necessary operation that has enabled me to stay working at Royal Mail where I have worked for 29 years, but they still are sacking me for having the time off even when they knew five months in advance that I needed the operation.

“I feel gutted I can be treated this way after this time when the operation was meant to keep me at work.”

He said his appeal against his dismissal was rejected last month.

He said: “It seems it’s three strikes and out. I’ve got Acas on to it now as I’m not having that.

“They don’t seem to give a flying whatsit.

“I had the operation to carry on working. If I hadn’t had it fixed, how would I have carried on? I would have been unable to walk.”

Mr Smith said his customers had been “absolutely horrified” and could not believe that he had been sacked.

A Royal Mail spokeswoman said: “Although we cannot comment on the details of individual cases, we can confirm that the correct procedures were followed in this matter.”
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support
Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
"Employers are always seeking more productivity from workers, without considering the human factor, the worker's age, the weather conditions and the intense heat. We need to intervene before it's too late, reducing working hours and the load carried by workers, because it's impossible to sustain the rhythm they're forced to work at for many years."

POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR

Post by POSTMAN »

last day at work would be April 8.
They are sacking him now? What the f**k, heartless bastards.

No mention of the union etc either, strange.
I Wrote
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
rogersh
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by rogersh »

POSTMAN wrote: last day at work would be April 8.

Strange! . Perhaps he is not a member of the union. If he is a member then he would be entitled to be represented as such.
scoobydo79

Post by scoobydo79 »

This is bizarre!!! :hmmmm
Woody Guthrie

Post by Woody Guthrie »

POSTMAN wrote: last day at work would be April 8.
They are sacking him now? What the f**k, heartless bastards.

To be fair with 29 years service and it not being gross misconduct he would have had 12 weeks notice so he was probably sacked in late January.
Only dead fish follow the current
1617mel

Post by 1617mel »

don't know this postperson, so no judgement on the personal side, what is wrong with the RM , we have such a large workforce, so massive possibilities
that through the sheer physical nature of the job people are going to suffer physical problems.
I find it hard to accept, the sheer unlimited heartless decisions from RM regularly posted on this forum, we are doing a job and what I see most workers for this company, always put their best foot forward each and every day. then some person breaks down physically and no one wants to know, maybe me
but if you have given most of your working life to a company , surely this decision is very wrong , you are just put on the scrap heap , your not physically up fo the job , goodbye don't care about your long service , through all weathers and conditions, heres your hat goodbye, who is it we work for.........
barcajr

Post by barcajr »

Can't help feeling that there is more to the case than he is letting on
k979aaa

Post by k979aaa »

Standards is the key illness don't follow standards 14 days in any 12 months and 10 days in 6 months their after twice so you could be fired for 34 days or less or 8 days if you have 1 day off each time only are the standards.
NWpostie

Post by NWpostie »

He would have been better of staying off in one block up to 6 months, it would be classed as one absence.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
Woody Guthrie

Post by Woody Guthrie »

NWpostie wrote:He would have been better of staying off in one block up to 6 months, it would be classed as one absence.

That would be fine if they weren't on the phone every couple of days trying to harass you into coming back to work.
Only dead fish follow the current
NWpostie

Post by NWpostie »

Woody Guthrie wrote:
NWpostie wrote:He would have been better of staying off in one block up to 6 months, it would be classed as one absence.

That would be fine if they weren't on the phone every couple of days trying to harass you into coming back to work.
I would add stress to the sick note if they do that, I would consider it to be harassment.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
max49

Post by max49 »

What about getting in contact with MP as well?
k979aaa

Post by k979aaa »

Keeping notes helps at all stages at stage 3 RTU is at hand basically it means you need a reason too be not sacked you can review all the previous stages with good notes and thus overturn stages!
walkthewalk

Post by walkthewalk »

Being a key worker should help his case you would think and that is one of the problems because RM managers cannot think what is right from wrong, all they see is a chap who is more expensive to employ than a part time person who does not get 6 weeks holiday and other benefits that a 29 year service person gets.