not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : NEW CORONAVIRUS FORUM... HERE

Posties face their miners' strike moment

09 Mar 2020, 20:53

110,000 postal workers are balloting for a third time to strike in defence of an essential public service, writes TERRY PULLINGER

The miners’ strike defined the 1980s, the potential postal strike ahead could define the 2020s.

The “People’s Post” Royal Mail is the victim of the privatisation myth that taking a public service out of public ownership will improve services and protect jobs, when in fact the opposite is true.

Royal Mail should never have been split from the Post Office — all the most successful postal organisations around the world have kept their retail and delivery arms together. Royal Mail and the Post Office were only split for political reasons: to aid the privatisation of Royal Mail.

The current state of the Post Office is there for all to see — the lack of vision and investment, in the interest of outsourcing and franchising and the disgraceful “Horizon” scandal have tarnished an excellent public service. The strategy for the Post Office has cost decent jobs, a much-loved public service and has played a huge part in the demise of the high street and equal access to services for those in rural or outlining areas.

The true fallacy of privatisation is coming for Royal Mail. It handpicked the merchant of greed in Rico Back, a German multimillionaire who lives in Switzerland and handed him the keys to the great British postal service when it made him CEO.

The Royal Mail board gave him a roughly £6 million “golden hello” and an annual reward package of about £2.7m — 100 times more than the average annual wage of a postal worker. This created a major shareholder revolt when they voted against his reward package, but he still got it, democracy ignored.

His boost to the union was that he would grow the business, honour its heritage, work with the union and honour the agreements made, including the one made in 2018 just prior to him being made CEO, which mapped the joint mutual interest approach to the future.

The reality was the total opposite, an almost immediate plan began to expose itself which had all the characteristics of a classic corporate raid. Lower the share price, buy up millions of shares (which Back has), create a crisis to justify radical change, axe thousands of jobs, reduce the service, make a big profit and then cash-in your shares.

What is happening to the Royal Mail group is the same that has happened to most of our privatised public services, it is a national disgrace and the Communication Workers Union will fight to reverse it.

We are now having our third national ballot in three years for strike action. Our previous two resulted in over 70 per cent turnouts and 80 per cent Yes votes for industrial action to protect decent jobs and a much-cherished service. It was democracy in action — yet twice Royal Mail has used the courts to stop us. So we will go again.

We will deliver another massive Yes vote, we will expose this disgrace to the people of Britain who never wanted Royal Mail privatised in the first place.

This will be the defining dispute of the 2020s: 110,000 postal workers standing up for themselves and the people of Britain, against the millionaires, in defence of decent jobs and a 500-year-old vital public service.

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article ... ike-moment

Posties face their miners’ strike moment

10 Mar 2020, 10:39

NUM membership in 1981 - 170 000
NUM membership in 2015 - 100

10 Mar 2020, 11:19

clashcityrocker wrote:NUM membership in 1981 - 170 000
NUM membership in 2015 - 100

Let's hope this is not our miner's strike :hmmmm apart from what membership was/is it destroyed communities familes to this day are still split and to live through it was absolutely horrendous! It wasn't a time in my life I look back and think yes it was worth it because it wasn't :cuppa so I hope for all of us it isn't our miner's strike :pray

10 Mar 2020, 11:36

CWU membership 1999 - 281 000
CWU membership 2018 - 191 00

10 Mar 2020, 18:48

My biggest fear this could happen to us

10 Mar 2020, 19:26

Of course this could happen to us and I fear this is part of the plan. What’s worrying is it seems some on here are in denial and see to think just a Yes vote or a day or two’s IA will be suffice.I think we should be very careful and not sleepwalk into giving RM what they expect and want.

10 Mar 2020, 23:33

I have a real fear and speaking to colleagues they to have concerns that this bitter dispute is built into royal mail's agenda they will wear our impending industrial action? If they can ignore a no vote from the share holders when they give Rico back his 6 million pound golden hello what make you think they're gonna take notice of us :hmmmm ? Don't get me wrong we can't and shouldn't bend over and take it but I do think we have very troubled times ahead (good luck everybody)

11 Mar 2020, 08:38

Its not the same as the miners strike there totally different commodities one you can do without (coal) the other (letters) still have to be delivered and were still the the biggest parcel company in this country.

11 Mar 2020, 10:14

The country couldn't do without coal back in 1984 and that's why during the miner's strike Tha*cher had it imported from abroad, and without that the lights would have soon gone out.
Given the amount of parcel couriers available now, being the "biggest parcel company" isn't any guarantee of success.

11 Mar 2020, 11:52

Tman wrote:The country couldn't do without coal back in 1984 and that's why during the miner's strike Tha*cher had it imported from abroad, and without that the lights would have soon gone out.
Given the amount of parcel couriers available now, being the "biggest parcel company" isn't any guarantee of success.

Your being a bit vague people were made to switch over to gas and not all the pits were closed,Thatcher wanted to keep this country's coal for future generations at least thats what they said at the time.I didn't say we would be successful, point is we have an advantage because of infrastructure and letters still have to be delivered.

11 Mar 2020, 12:18

"Keep it for future generations"? That's a new take on the situation at that time. Usually it's said that she wanted to destroy the power of the unions and after the events of the Three Day Week, she wanted to start with the miners. Coal stocks conservation was likely the last thing on her mind.
She was also happy to import Peruvian etc coal as it was cheaper per tonne at the point of sale than UK-sourced coal. As is the way with short-sighted bottom-line Tories, the impact on communities, individuals and supply chain businesses of pit closures was ignored.

11 Mar 2020, 12:39

The government wanted to get rid of coal.Royal mail still has the uso 6 days a week and Rico has more pressure off shareholders than the coal industry had to deal with,who's gonna deliver the mail millions of letters daily,ime not convinced that the strikes are the same.

12 Mar 2020, 17:47

clashcityrocker wrote:CWU membership 1999 - 281 000
CWU membership 2018 - 191 00

shows how many jobs have gone from RM and BT.

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1