ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Postal deadline now 9am for Isle Of Wight letters

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
rogersh
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING

Post by rogersh »

Postal deadline now 9am for Isle Of Wight letters reveals Royal Mail

A "LARGE number" of postboxes on the Isle of Wight are not now being emptied after 9am, and even earlier on Saturday, Royal Mail has revealed.
The postal firm argues fewer letters are being sent and usage in certain areas has dropped.

It was not able to tell the Isle of Wight County Press how many postboxes on the Island would be affected by the change.
It says the overall number of letters has fallen by 50 per cent since 2004.

On March 23, the price of a first-class stamp will rise by 6p to 76p. A second class stamp will cost 65p, up 4p.
: Royal Mail to increase price of stamps next month

A spokesperson said: “Royal Mail is introducing more collections on delivery on the Isle of Wight.
"This means more postmen and postwomen will collect mail from postboxes while they are doing their daily round.

"Since 2014, postmen and women have been collecting mail from some postboxes while on their rounds.
"More than half of Royal Mail postboxes now have mail collected by delivery colleagues."

Isle of Wight County Press reader Malcolm Watson has already noticed the change on the postbox at the junction of Simeon and Monkton streets in Ryde.
A sign warns customers that while the last collection time will be at 9am during the week, Saturday's last collection will be at 7am.
Mr Watson is urging concerned Islanders to contact Royal Mail and wrote: "We now need to post our mail the day before it is collected, while paying more for it. Perhaps the collection will be restored if enough of us make a fuss."

ted_e_bear

Post by ted_e_bear »

rogersh wrote:Perhaps the collection will be restored if enough of us make a fuss."
Good luck with that one !
clashcityrocker

Post by clashcityrocker »

A sign warns customers that while the last collection time will be at 9am during the week, Saturday's last collection will be at 7am.
Mr Watson is urging concerned Islanders to contact Royal Mail and wrote: "We now need to post our mail the day before it is collected, while paying more for it. Perhaps the collection will be restored if enough of us make a fuss."

The sign warns that the earliest the collection will be made is 9am. (or 7am)
It doesn't mean the last collection is at 9am (or 7am)
What glaring evidence of incomprehension leading to a non story.
Why not phone up Robin Hood
Tman

Post by Tman »

At least the story didn't ask the (almost inevitable) question of "why does IoW mail go to the mainland when it could be sorted here?"
wazer

Post by wazer »

Its the same on boxes here too.The only issue is non of us leave the office till gone 9 everyday.Most of the time its about 10ish including Sats.All postpersons now collect the post, we have no dedicated drivers for boxes.
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by Navalron »

rogersh wrote:Postal deadline now 9am for Isle Of Wight letters reveals Royal Mail

A "LARGE number" of postboxes on the Isle of Wight are not now being emptied after 9am, and even earlier on Saturday, Royal Mail has revealed.
The postal firm argues fewer letters are being sent and usage in certain areas has dropped.

It was not able to tell the Isle of Wight County Press how many postboxes on the Island would be affected by the change.
It says the overall number of letters has fallen by 50 per cent since 2004.

On March 23, the price of a first-class stamp will rise by 6p to 76p. A second class stamp will cost 65p, up 4p.
: Royal Mail to increase price of stamps next month

A spokesperson said: “Royal Mail is introducing more collections on delivery on the Isle of Wight.
"This means more postmen and postwomen will collect mail from postboxes while they are doing their daily round.

"Since 2014, postmen and women have been collecting mail from some postboxes while on their rounds.
"More than half of Royal Mail postboxes now have mail collected by delivery colleagues."

Isle of Wight County Press reader Malcolm Watson has already noticed the change on the postbox at the junction of Simeon and Monkton streets in Ryde.

It's the exact same here in Glasgow. My house is the very last house on the last loop of the day and the postbox sits outside my garden wall so usually gets emptied about 14:30ish. But you need to catch the posts at about 07:15 on a Saturday which is pisses me off as I only get 2 long lye per week. Also we have a runner who does our street, don't know why because his partner sits in the van reading the paper until his oppo finishes. The thing is the runner has been in the job for about 18years ( no driving license) and the part time oppo just sits there. It's a straight street with long stairs up to the gardens, so no excuse about not seeing him in his mirrors. I would walk up to the van, split my crap each way and give him it tight (verbally). So there's no such thing as a first class service now because the people who live at the start of the walks post a first class letter at say 09:30, it lies in the box for 24 hours, when in theory it should be on your floor behind your door. Maybe the papers need to get wind of this because people are paying first class stamps for a bullshit service. It has got to the stage you might as well just buy second class stamps anyway as there getting there at the same time. What a shambles. Yes I will be writing to the daily record, evening times and Scottish sun. They could also retrofit a small parcel depositor on the side of the mail boxes but I suppose that would be like thinking out the box,,, no pun intended. :thumbup
Navalron
EX ROYAL MAIL

Post by Navalron »

clashcityrocker wrote:A sign warns customers that while the last collection time will be at 9am during the week, Saturday's last collection will be at 7am.

I don't think it's a non story. I've posted a reply to this very worthwhile and valid point. :cuppa
Celgar

Post by Celgar »

clashcityrocker wrote:A sign warns customers that while the last collection time will be at 9am during the week, Saturday's last collection will be at 7am.

The general public will assume though that if it says 0700 on a Saturday that the box will be emptied at that time. Dependent on location it is not impossible that boxes will be emptied shortly after the time stated on the postbox. The metal tab, if the postbox is not so old to be not fitted with the slot, will indicate if the box has been emptied or not.

The times for box collections on Saturdays have been early for time immemorial and changes made a number of years ago meant that some postboxes are emptied early every day there is a collection. The only worrying thing is that the RM press office are playing up to and responding to this article disingenuously with a view to demanding significant change to the USO.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.