ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Residents warned after postal scam in Chichester

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Residents warned after postal scam in Chichester

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.chichester.co.uk/news/crime ... -1-8642274" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Image

Residents have been warned after several people received scam letters.

Rachel Austin said she received the letter, alleging to be from FIFA, 'about ten days ago' and but decided to look it up online.

She said: "I was concerned and I realised it was a scam. It said you had to pay one per cent of the winnings." In the letter, which was addressed to the previous tenant, Rachel was told the winnings were £725,000 and was asked to pay £7,250 to pay for the bank transfer.

Carrie Hayler from Garling Close had been targeted with a similar letter. "I googled it and the first thing that came up was that Which? had investigated it." Carrie was offered £900,000 but instead of being asked to pay a percentage, she was asked to call on a premium line.

She added: "When you first open it you do get a little bit of and excited thrill but you sit down and think about it. "If something seems to good to be true, it usually is. Fortunately I'm not daft but I think some people will fall for it."

Which? Consumer rights expert Adam French said: "Postal scams typically offer something that sounds attractive but in reality it doesn't exist. So, before responding you should always consider whether what's on offer seems too good to be true. If it does then it is likely to be a scam. "Requests for money should always be treated with suspicion, so if you think you've been targeted, be sure to report the scam to Royal Mail."
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.