http://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/n ... mile_hike/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A POSTMAN from Stroud will attempt to conquer a gruelling 54-mile hike this year to raise money for ABF The Soldiers Charity.
Kevin Cooke, who will take on the Cateran Yomp, is using his daily 8-mile delivery route as part of his training for the challenge.
The long-distance march will take place from June 9 to 10.
He competed in last year’s event and managed an impressive time of 19 hours to come 67th out of nearly 800 participants.
This year Kevin would like to smash his personal best and make the top 50 with a time of 17 hours or less.
The Cateran Yomp is classed as the biggest and toughest event of this type in part due to the rough mountainous terrain.
Based around the foothills of the Cairngorm Mountains in Scotland, there are three difficulty levels for yompers to tackle, bronze 22 miles, silver 36 miles and gold 54 miles.
The distances must be completed within a 24 hour time limit.
After serving for 9 years in the Coldstream Guards, Kevin who suffers from PTSD and type 1 diabetes found that being outdoors was a great way to stay positive.
“It’s not the mountain we battle, it’s ourselves” is a statement that inspires Kevin to keep pushing himself to the limit when taking on challenges like the yomp.
Kevin said: "I’m not only doing the Cateran Yomp to raise awareness for PTSD but also for type 1 diabetes sufferers.
“ABF The Soldiers’ Charity is a cause close to my heart, I don’t have a goal of how much I am looking to raise as I know any amount is of benefit.
“I just want to raise awareness for them and to inspire others to get outdoors,” added Kevin.
For more information on the Cateran Yomp please visit soldierscharity.org/events/the-cateran-yomp
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Stroud postman set for gruelling 54-mile hike
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Stroud postman set for gruelling 54-mile hike
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
plodplodplod
- Posts: 56
- Joined: 10 Nov 2013, 21:30
- Gender: Male
Stroud postman set for gruelling 54-mile hike
who says postmen just walk eh?
-
BELIAL
- Posts: 6758
- Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:33
- Gender: Female
- Location: Nowhere