https://www.eagleradio.co.uk/news/local ... -any-post/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Medlar Close looks like any other suburban street in Surrey and Hampshire, but it has been half a year since the post was delivered.
In a letter dated September 8 Royal Mail announced they were suspending deliveries. It was the last letter received by those living in the close.
So where is their post and why is it not being delivered? It arrives at the Guildford Mail Centre and will sit there for 18 days unless residents collect it in person. The reason for the suspension is something out of a Beano comic - but is certainly no laughing matter.
On the Monday prior to the suspension a postal worker was making routine deliveries when she was attacked and bitten by a dog. The postwoman was treated at the Royal Surrey County Hospital for her injury.
Following the attack Royal Mail said a health and safety risk assessment was undertaken which found the risk of making deliveries was “unacceptably high due to the threat of further dog attacks.” They said they would not return until “assured that the dog is secured and no longer poses a danger”.
However, a resident believes stopping deliveries to the whole road has caused unnecessary disruption for those living there.
She said: “I think it’s been unfair on the other residents, we do understand that certain things do happen and obviously it couldn’t have been nice for the girl that it happened to.
“We understand all that, but it’s also the fact that I don’t feel that they’re understanding us. We can’t see an end to it because they’re not giving us any updates. How are we ever going to know that they feel it’s safe to come back into the road?”
She also believes conditions around the close are not as dangerous as Royal Mail have made out, adding: “I don’t think it’s unsafe to deliver out there. I’ve got a young lad and he goes out there playing and if I felt it wasn’t safe I wouldn’t let him out there.
“I don’t see the dog, so I don’t understand why – I live here and I can’t understand why they won’t deliver when I don’t even see the animal.”
Royal Mail said: “The safety and welfare of our staff is paramount and we only suspend deliveries as a last resort when the safety of our staff is at risk. We apologise for any inconvenience this has caused.”
With the ceasing of deliveries, parts of everyday life which many take for granted have become much more difficult.
Some residents have missed hospital appointments because of not being able to collect a letter in time. The lack of deliveries also posed a particular challenge over Christmas.
Royal Mail say customers can arrange to have their mail delivered to an alternate address in the local area if they are unable or unwilling to travel to the delivery office. But the resident Eagle Radio spoke to said this is only possible at an additional cost to them.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
The Guildford street that doesn't get any post
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
The Guildford street that doesn't get any post
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Celgar
- Posts: 2795
- Joined: 01 Nov 2017, 17:11
- Gender: Male
The Guildford street that doesn't get any post
Why can't the dog be put down ?
The views I express here are mine alone and do not represent the views of Royal Mail Group.
-
meercat
- Posts: 814
- Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
- Gender: Male
The Guildford street that doesn't get any post
I don't know, who picked it up?
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
The Guildford street that doesn't get any post
Certainly was'nt the postperson.meercat wrote:I don't know, who picked it up?