https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/not ... ck-1223633" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The package contained a card game, some perfume and a body spray
A woman from Nottingham was outraged when a parcel containing Christmas gifts she sent to her brother nine weeks earlier was returned to her opened.
In December, Victoria Jones sent a package containing presents for her brother and his girlfriend, who live in Seattle. But she was shocked when the parcel was returned to her two months later.
Miss Jones, a dentist based in the city centre, posted a card game, some perfume and a body spray to her brother as it was their first Christmas appart.
But the parcel was returned with a letter from Royal Mail inside, which said it contained items "classified as dangerous goods".
Miss Jones said: "I received it back yesterday and I just had a message inside saying that it was dangerous. When I opened it to find they had opened it all and gone through the stuff I was completely gob smacked.
"It was quite clearly a present - it was in Christmas wrapping paper. I understand why they have to do it if it is unsafe but the fact they opened it and sent it back just felt so brutal.
"I was also surprised that it took so long to get it back, it is just so outrageous. I feel like it is a violation of my privacy."
Miss Jones' brother, Phillip Jones, moved to the USA a year ago for his job in marketing and she said she would now just wait until he visits England to give him his Christmas presents.
She added: "I completely understand that it might be dangerous but it should be more clear, if you can take perfumes and sprays in your suitcase on holiday I don't see why you shouldn't be able to post them."
A Royal Mail spokesman said that they are required to examine any dangerous goods.
He said: “To comply with international civil aviation law, Royal Mail enforces regulations which prohibit specific products from international services.
"Carriage of dangerous goods regulations also apply to other parcel companies. Royal Mail is required to examine or open parcels that appear to contain potentially dangerous items.
"In this case an aerosol and a bottle of perfume were the offending items and are on the prohibited items list for international post. These should be declared when sending a parcel at the Post Office.
“We returned the items to the sender as the items were among those that can be sent by air within the UK. If customers are unsure which items they are allowed to post, they can visit our website or contact our customer services team on 03457 740 740 or check at their local Post Office.”
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Christmas presents returned by Royal Mail after nine weeks because of 'dangerous' perfume
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Christmas presents returned by Royal Mail after nine weeks because of 'dangerous' perfume
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
britwrit
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 966
- Joined: 22 Apr 2007, 15:12
Christmas presents returned by Royal Mail after nine weeks because of 'dangerous' perfume
Whoever took the package from her at the post office should've told her upfront about this. But not allowing the package in the cargo hold is a no-brainer and officially prohibited.
A lot of perfumes are mostly alcohol, could burst into flame as the pressure changes, etc. etc.
A lot of perfumes are mostly alcohol, could burst into flame as the pressure changes, etc. etc.