ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Stamp of approval for postman Gary's shorts

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Stamp of approval for postman Gary's shorts

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.crawleyobserver.co.uk/news/ ... -1-8338328" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Postman Gary Symonds knows a thing or two about delivering the mail in style ... his own particular style of fashion. For 48-year-old Gary insists on carrying out his postal duties wearing shorts, whatever the weather.

Come rain, shine, snow or ice, Gary completes his 11-mile daily round in Haywards Heath in his breeches.

Image


And the hardy postie has no intentions of staging a cover-up any time soon - he’s won the stamp of approval after wearing shorts while delivering the mail for most of his 20-year career with Royal Mail.

“I’m one of the silly ones,” says Gary, “but I just find it easier to move around, especially going up and down steps, while I’m wearing shorts.”

And, as well as appearing immune to the weather, Gary is also resistant to remarks from his customers about his attire. “I get comments every day. Customers always say ‘I can’t believe you are still in shorts.’ But I’m used to it and my legs don’t get cold, it’s more my hands and feet that feel it.”

And it’s his hands rather than his legs which sometimes face the brunt of every postman’s mail round - the pet dog on guard at the letterbox. “If there is a dog I’m very cautious,” says Gary.

“One or two have nibbled at my fingernails but none has ever got my knees.” And after exposing his legs to the elements all year, Gary confessed that this week he finally covered up his limbs with some long trousers.

But it wasn’t for work - he was off on holiday to New York and temperatures there have plummeted recently to as low as -20C. But, Gary, who lives in Burgess Hill, said: “I took a pair of shorts with me just in case it warmed up.”
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Destiny
Posts: 200
Joined: 29 Dec 2010, 10:18
Gender: Male
Location: North

Stamp of approval for postman Gary’s shorts

Post by Destiny »

No functional difference between trousers, simply wear shorts in winter, Attention seekers!
Done it for years and realised I'm a fkin idiot!!
bogues2009
Posts: 87
Joined: 27 Jan 2007, 16:20

Stamp of approval for postman Gary’s shorts

Post by bogues2009 »

Agree. Been there, done that. Usually it is an attention seeking. Usually, people end up with bad knees etc. There is hardly any natural protection for knee caps therefore they need to be covered with some warm layer of clothing. I can see the difference when last year I was wearing shorts all year round. Now I actually wear..thin long johns under normal uniform trousers and feeling much warmer and healthier. Also fingerless gloves to protect inner side of hand from cuts etc all year round:)))
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Stamp of approval for postman Gary’s shorts

Post by Creditshampoo »

I wear shorts as my legs are waterproof trousers as not. Waterproof trousers bit too warm to wear and sweat