http://www.edp24.co.uk/features/junk-ma ... -1-5266383" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Unfortunately, most of them approach my door when I’m out.
I’m not inventing imaginary friends: I know people have nipped round because they leave calling cards - and, almost without fail, are unable to close the gate behind them.
(The postman also leaves the gate open. It’s not a tricky gate - just a lever in a slot. Not that I’m burning with fury about it, though...)
Anyway, back to the calling cards. In the last four days, I have received 13.
They all include nice messages and a contact number:
- Want to get your business noticed? Call 01603 3****6;
- Would you like to sell your house this month? CALL NOW ON 01603 9****0 RIGHT NOW!
Lots of my kind callers are offering to deliver food and drink to my door for nothing but the price of the food and drink. Perhaps a rumour is getting around that I’m sad and lonely?
You’ve probably worked out by now that I get a constant stream of junk mail thrust through my letterbox by people with a gate-operating deficiency.
It happens pretty much every day.
I guess it’s rather a waste of money, but it’d be a bit rich for someone working in the newspaper industry to make that accusation.
I’m more bothered by the constant temptation.
I’m not naturally svelte: I have to work hard even to look out of condition. It’s not easy to eat healthily, partly because I can’t be bothered to cook when I get in from work.
I’m vulnerable, and I fear I’m being targeted by takeaways and supermarkets.
They know how much I’d love a steakwich, a 12in stuffed-crust margherita hot, doner meat with chips and cheese, a Ferrero Temptation sundae, or a
king prawn satay with prawn balls.
My mouth is watering as I write this, but fortunately I’m playing football in an hour, so my wallet and waistline are safe.
Actually, in 14 months of living in Norwich I have had a grand total of one takeaway.
But I do wish the local purveyors of carbs, cholesterol and salt would quit trying to get me off the wagon.
I know, there is something I could do about it.
I could put up a sign on my door, declaring: ‘No junk mail, no hawkers, no person-distracting-me-while-accomplice-nips-in-and-nicks-my-1970s-pouffe, no Jehovah’s Witnesses, no woman, no cry.’
But those signs send a message to the world that you are a loner who keeps your curtains drawn in the daytime and who has never spoken to someone of the
opposite sex.
Ok, there’s more than a grain of truth in it, but I’d sooner not advertise it.
Instead, I’d prefer that the many businesses which do leaflet drops would stop - it’s not how I buy things.
The exception will be if someone shuts my gate: I’ll get a takeaway from the first deliverer who can manage that.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Junk mail is fair enough - but please shut the gate
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Junk mail is fair enough - but please shut the gate
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
redneck
- Posts: 788
- Joined: 04 Jan 2010, 20:28
- Gender: Male
Junk mail is fair enough - but please shut the gate
Take your gate off. Problem solved.
-
DirtyHarry
- Posts: 5051
- Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
- Gender: Male
- Location: London
Junk mail is fair enough - but please shut the gate
Forget the f***ing gate, it really isn't that f***ing important.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Junk mail is fair enough - but please shut the gate
But why not leave a gate as you find it ?
In too much of a hurry to get back and do more lapsing ?
In too much of a hurry to get back and do more lapsing ?
-
DirtyHarry
- Posts: 5051
- Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
- Gender: Male
- Location: London
Junk mail is fair enough - but please shut the gate
Why?
Because it isn't important. Necessary. Obligatory. That's why.
Because it isn't important. Necessary. Obligatory. That's why.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Junk mail is fair enough - but please shut the gate
Its polite though.DirtyHarry wrote:Why?
Because it isn't important. Necessary. Obligatory. That's why.
I always try to show the respect to others property that I would expect on mine. Plus its a safety issue, a closed gate will hopefully stop both known and unknown dogs escaping and literally biting you in the arse.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
WOBBLY
- Posts: 362
- Joined: 27 Apr 2012, 13:19
- Gender: Male
Junk mail is fair enough - but please shut the gate
If the gate is open when I enter, it stays open.
If I have to open the gate to enter I close it when I leave.
If I have to open the gate to enter I close it when I leave.
-
DirtyHarry
- Posts: 5051
- Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
- Gender: Male
- Location: London
Junk mail is fair enough - but please shut the gate
Honestly lads, don't we have enough to contend with these days, without castigating colleagues over whether or not they close the bloody gate after 'em?
I mean, really?
I mean, really?
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
Junk mail is fair enough - but please shut the gate
A lot of our's don't use gate's they leap over them as that is what sheep do.
-
parforthewalk
- Posts: 149
- Joined: 10 Feb 2013, 17:23
- Gender: Male
Junk mail is fair enough - but please shut the gate
In my experience 99% are ill-fitting & therefore don't close properly, it's bad enough having to struggle to lift up/shove & fiddle about opening the fckin things with out having to spend the same amount time (sometimes longer) frigging about closing them!
Generally any complaints via management, I explain the situation & state its not my problem if the gate is shite & if want to get pedantic its also a H&S issue..Manager (of the day) turns & walks away...end of!!
Generally any complaints via management, I explain the situation & state its not my problem if the gate is shite & if want to get pedantic its also a H&S issue..Manager (of the day) turns & walks away...end of!!