ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

The cream of doorstep deliverers

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

The cream of doorstep deliverers

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.edp24.co.uk/features/the-cre ... -1-5254001" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Opinion: So Amazon reckons it has the best delivery method? It should have met our old postman, says Sharon Griffths.

There is nothing new under the sun – especially when it comes to delivering goods.

When supermarkets started offering home delivery they acted as though they’d come up with a revolutionary idea, when all they were doing was a modern version of what the butcher, baker and grocer had been doing for generations, whether on horse and cart, van or a boy on a bike.

Now Amazon has unveiled a system in which their delivery drivers will use a smartlock to let themselves into your home – all on camera which you can watch via an app on your phone.

Brilliant – but still not as good as when the postman used to leave stuff and every neighbour in the street saw him do it. And you pay for the Amazon privilege – about £190 for the lock and camera.

Meanwhile our delivery drivers and postmen just leave things in our garage, no camera needed.

When I was a child, we couldn’t even lock our back door. In the days when holiday makers to Cornwall always used to send tubs of clotted cream back home, I once met our postman in the street.

“Your sister’s having a lovely time in Cornwall,” he said, “I delivered the postcard and I popped the cream in the fridge.”

Beat that, Amazon.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

The cream of doorstep deliverers

Post by fishtank »

When I was a child, we couldn’t even lock our back door.
A back door?
La de feckin da.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

The cream of doorstep deliverers

Post by Lounge Lizard »

I know of rural properties where neither front nor back door is locked. :thumbup
clashcityrocker
Posts: 16699
Joined: 22 Sep 2009, 13:50
Gender: Male
Location: strummerville

The cream of doorstep deliverers

Post by clashcityrocker »

Is it a euphemism?
The societies of consumption and squandering of material resources are incompatible with the idea of economic growth and a clean planet.
saddlerposty
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 248
Joined: 08 Mar 2010, 18:20
Gender: Male

The cream of doorstep deliverers

Post by saddlerposty »

Back in the day when I was young single postie I smashed in many a back door :Very Happy :Very Happy .... couldn't do it now though. :Boo hoo!
blue1873
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 8869
Joined: 16 Feb 2010, 17:50
Gender: Male

The cream of doorstep deliverers

Post by blue1873 »

saddlerposty wrote:Back in the day when I was young single postie I smashed in many a back door :Very Happy :Very Happy .... couldn't do it now though. :Boo hoo!
Oooooh !Err matron :oops:Young and single :thumbup Ah back in the days ,smashing back doors ,the joy of youth.
crimson king
Posts: 783
Joined: 20 Aug 2017, 16:37
Gender: Male

The cream of doorstep deliverers

Post by crimson king »

saddlerposty wrote:Back in the day when I was young single postie I smashed in many a back door :Very Happy :Very Happy .... couldn't do it now though. :Boo hoo!
Ha ha ha, love it! This is now my favourite thread ever :Applause

I'm easily amused...
Sooner or later, a beat dog bites.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

The cream of doorstep deliverers

Post by daveyeff »

saddlerposty wrote:Back in the day when I was young single postie I smashed in many a back door :Very Happy :Very Happy .... couldn't do it now though. :Boo hoo!
female back doors I hope.
masterblaster
Posts: 285
Joined: 10 Sep 2010, 20:12
Gender: Male

The cream of doorstep deliverers

Post by masterblaster »

Up the alley wiv a special delivery!
franco1
Posts: 185
Joined: 25 Jun 2015, 16:55
Gender: Male

The cream of doorstep deliverers

Post by franco1 »

Yes and back in those days after postie had left the cream in the fridge he then went and took a dump and had a quick sniff of her knickers
saddlerposty
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 248
Joined: 08 Mar 2010, 18:20
Gender: Male

The cream of doorstep deliverers

Post by saddlerposty »

daveyeff wrote:
saddlerposty wrote:Back in the day when I was young single postie I smashed in many a back door :Very Happy :Very Happy .... couldn't do it now though. :Boo hoo!
female back doors I hope.
Of course (the other type was still illegal back then)