ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Hero Dundee postie saves life by doing CPR on young woman found unconscious in close

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Hero Dundee postie saves life by doing CPR on young woman found unconscious in close

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/h ... ous-close/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Image
Nicola Johnson pictured at home with three of her children — Lana, six, Libby, three, and Ruby, nine — after recalling her actions which helped save a woman’s life.

A postwoman has been hailed as a life-saver after administering CPR to an unconscious woman on her first solo round.

Nicola Johnson, 40, was delivering mail to flats in Adamson Court, Lochee, when she discovered the seriously ill woman lying on the ground on the seventh floor of the multi.

The mum-of-four from Menzieshill quickly administered life-saving treatment to the woman in her 20s.

Image
Adamson Court in Lochee where Nicola was doing her round – for the first time on her own

She also liaised with the ambulance service until paramedics arrived.

Nicola had an anxious wait to find out if the woman — who was not breathing when she arrived — had survived, but was later informed she had recovered from her ordeal.

After 999 crews had arrived, Nicola carried on with her round.

Reflecting on the drama, Nicola told the Tele: “I was delivering the mail from the top floor down and when I came to the seventh floor I saw the woman lying beside one of the fire doors.

“Straight away I could see that she was unconscious.

“She had two other women with her but they were screaming and were pretty hysterical.

“They were on the phone to the ambulance but weren’t managing to make themselves very clear.

“I took the phone and spoke to the ambulance controller and explained what was happening.”

Nicola said she then put the woman in the recovery position and found she had a weak pulse.

“I formerly volunteered with the foodbank in Dundee, and when I did that I did a first aid training course with the Red Cross,” she said.

“My training just seemed to come back to me and I was immediately able to start giving CPR.

“It felt like I was doing it for ages before the ambulance arrived but I think it was probably only about 10 minutes. The woman still wasn’t breathing but the paramedics took over.

“I just carried on with my round after that.”

Nicola has only been working as a postie out of Dundee West Delivery Office for a short time, and was doing her first round on her own on the day.

“It’s not something you expect you have to do on your first day as a postie on your own but I just did what needed to be done,” she said. “I don’t consider myself to be a hero at all.

“I just did what anyone in the same circumstances would have done.

“I’m just glad I was able to help. My family members have all said they think I’m a hero but I don’t consider myself to be one.”

The woman was treated by paramedics at the scene but it’s understood she declined hospital treatment.

Image
The Dundee West delivery office where Nicola is based

A Royal Mail spokeswoman said: “Nicola has helped to save a life while carrying out her job and we are very proud of her, especially since it was her first week on delivery.

“As Nicola approached floor seven she noticed a female lying unconscious — there were two other persons with the female, one of which was trying to give details to the ambulance service.

“Nicola noted the people were not coping with the situation so she quickly took charge by administrating CPR and communicating with the ambulance service until the emergency services arrived on scene.

“Nicola then carried on with her delivery.

“She reported the incident to her line manager the following day.”
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Hero Dundee postie saves life by doing CPR on young woman found unconscious in close

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Now that is impressive, the first day after puppy walking :Applause :Applause :Applause :Applause
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.