ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

British Empire Medals for two community stalwarts

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

British Empire Medals for two community stalwarts

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.thepost.uk.com/article.cfm?i ... hyear=2017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Alan has served the community for nearly 30 years as a postman and a retained fireman as well as his work helping people in their hour of need.
Now 59, Alan served in the Royal Navy for 16 years and was part of the Falklands War and the first half of the Gulf War.

Realising that he wanted a steadier life, Alan joined the Royal Mail and has been a postman for 27 years with the last 20 of those being on the same run, many of the houses are in the middle of nowhere meaning he gets to know them personally.

As well as his job delivering letters, he’s also saved many people’s life in his role as a local fireman, which he’s held since 1990. However, a failed medical earlier this year due to an injury, means he’s still waiting to get back to the fire service.

Commenting on his award, Alan was delighted, saying: “I got a letter in the post out of the blue. I had no inkling that I’d been nominated and when I opened it I couldn’t believe it even if you do have to keep it quiet for so long. I went for a meal with my family but you’ve got to keep it a secret for a while.”

Although combining being a postman and a fireman can be tough, Alan believes that it’s worked out brilliantly for everyone, even if it means lots of long days.

Alan continued: “Some days I don’t get in until 8/9 o’clock if I have a couple of call-outs on my run. Thankfully the Royal Mail and the fire service are happy as they get lots of local knowledge as a result.

“Unfortunately I’ve been off from my duties as a fireman since January as I failed my medical due to an injury and I’m in limbo at the moment. It’s meant plenty more time at home and the post runs haven’t taken as much time but I want to get back to it. However I can still help people when they need me. Some of the house owners on my post run are elderly and they need help with little jobs and I’m more than happy to help as well as giving them a lift if needs be.”

Serving in the Royal Navy meant that Alan has a collection of medals, however he said receiving a BEM means everything.

Alan added: “It’s a great honour to be given a BEM. I’ve got a few medals from over the years but to be honest they pale into insignificance compared to these. I’m just delighted that I’ve been chosen.”
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.