ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Final delivery for popular postman

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Final delivery for popular postman

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.newburytoday.co.uk/news/home ... stman.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GEOFFREY Blake has been delivering letters – and a smile – to the residents of Ashford Hill and Headley for almost 17 years.

But yesterday (Wednesday), he hung up his postbag for the last time after announcing his retirement.

Ken Rhatigan, a borough councillor for Kingsclere, wrote in the parish newsletter: “He has provided us with not just our post through this time, but for many he has proved to be an invaluable and considerate friend.”

Mr Blake, who has lived in Thatcham for 25 years, said: “They say I am part of their community which is a little bit strange as I was just doing a job.

“They are a friendly lot, and I have helped them as much as I can over the years.

“A few people have said I should come round for a cup of tea. I will keep in touch.

“They were all so friendly and they listened to me when I was rattling on about my son-in-law.”

Caroline Woodward, from the Headley Community Shop, said: “He is so much a part of our villages. We are really going to miss him.”

Mr Rhatigan added: “Many of us will miss him for his diligence in trying to find a way to deliver an important package or seek a signature from your neighbour.

“This is a man who, despite his own family worries, has always shown a face of concern for others before himself.

“Invariably he is the happiest man that many of us will see on any given day – not too busy to chat and he understands what is going on in our villages.”

Mr Blake will spend his retirement doing up his daughter Sarah’s house and garden before tackling his own.

He is an active member of Team Spirit running club and also cycles 40 miles a week, something he plans to do more of once he retires.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Final delivery for popular postman

Post by Lounge Lizard »

“A few people have said I should come round for a cup of tea" :thumbup and maybe a breakfast. :nana
Mobey
Posts: 291
Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 11:54
Gender: Male

Final delivery for popular postman

Post by Mobey »

Mr Rhatigan added: “Many of us will miss him for his diligence in trying to find a way to deliver an important package or seek a signature from your neighbour.
Oh dear, when they put a new starter or new postman on this round. They'll be complaining and say to the postie that Geoff used to leave it here, we never signed for anything before or we NEVER had to collect our parcels.
walkthewalk
Posts: 220
Joined: 29 Mar 2011, 12:37
Gender: Male

Final delivery for popular postman

Post by walkthewalk »

Good luck to him, if anyone can manage 17 days never mind 17 years then they know that Royal Mail is fast becoming a slave driver company, all the best pal :Applause