http://www.devonlive.com/man-found-dead ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
An elderly man was found dead in his Devon home after a postman noticed mail piling up and raised concerns about his welfare, an inquest has heard.
Rodney Tucker, 85, was found dead at his home in Two Mile Oak near Newton Abbot on March 7. The inquest in Torquay on Wednesday heard that he had obviously been dead 'for some time'.
A statement from postman Lee Martin explained how he had noticed the mail piling up and contacted the police, who subsequently attended the address and found Mr Tucker's body. There were no suspicious circumstances.
Mr Martin said he had been a postman for nearly 13 years and had covered this particular route five days a week for 15 months. He said Mr Tucker's property was set back from the main road and 'looks derelict from outside'. He delivered post to a small annexe of the house once or twice a week.
An elderly man was found dead in his Devon home after a postman noticed mail piling up and raised concerns about his welfare, an inquest has heard.
Rodney Tucker, 85, was found dead at his home in Two Mile Oak near Newton Abbot on March 7. The inquest in Torquay on Wednesday heard that he had obviously been dead 'for some time'.
A statement from postman Lee Martin explained how he had noticed the mail piling up and contacted the police, who subsequently attended the address and found Mr Tucker's body. There were no suspicious circumstances.
Mr Martin said he had been a postman for nearly 13 years and had covered this particular route five days a week for 15 months. He said Mr Tucker's property was set back from the main road and 'looks derelict from outside'. He delivered post to a small annexe of the house once or twice a week.
He said: "It was normal for post to pile up before being taken in by someone. I only saw a man at the property once. The front door was never fully shut.
"It crossed my mind in January that something might be wrong as the post was stacking up. I went on leave towards the end of the month. When back in early February I mentioned it to my manager.
"On March 7, I went about my normal route. I delivered one letter to [the house] and placed it on the pile already there. I decided to call the police as something must be wrong. I saw a light on in one of the rooms but the curtains were drawn and I couldn't see in."
PC Alan Lowe said in a statement that when he attended the property, he found the front door ajar. He knocked and called out, and entered after receiving no response.
He described in detail the 'extremely dirty' conditions of the whole property, which was laden with dust and cobwebs. His description included details of rubbish, excrement, and a 'strong stench'. He noticed a table with unopened mail that had been soaked by the leaking roof as well as a shop receipt dated December 16. He found Mr Tucker's body in the bedroom and said 'it was obvious he was deceased'.
The inquest heard that very little was known about Mr Tucker, including his occupation, and he had no known next of kin. There was 'no obvious evidence of injury' but the medical cause of death was unascertainable.
Det Con Matt Townrow, who attended the inquest in person, said that the police's financial investigation unit identified a bank account and found that no transactions had taken place this year.
Coroner Ian Arrow said: "It appears he retired to bed, rolled out of it and died. I can't be precise as to his medical cause of death so I'll give this matter an open conclusion. I'll record he died on the day he was found. I extend my condolences to those who may have known him."
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Man lay dead in Devon home for 'some time' until postman reported mail piling up
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Man lay dead in Devon home for 'some time' until postman reported mail piling up
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
dmyeo66
- Posts: 8
- Joined: 06 Dec 2013, 08:43
- Gender: Male
Man lay dead in Devon home for 'some time' until postman reported mail piling up
My mate and I found a body this past weekend. He was laying at the bottom of his stairs. Milkman had been around earlier and all was fine. When my mate phoned the manager, after calling the ambulance and police, he was told to tell the police that he couldn't give a statement until later as in would effect his duty time and should be contacted in his own time after work!! He even mentioned about holding up mail.... not once was my mate asked if he was okay or effected by what he had saw. His first dead body. Shame on the manager really. More concerned that my mate could go over on his shift!