http://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/new ... he_public/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
http://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/resources/images/5644159/A DEDICATED 94-year-old man continues to serve the public after 75 years with the Post Office – and has no signs of letting up anytime soon.
Norman Burroughs started as a telegraph boy when he was 14 before building his way up to postmaster at the firm.
But despite reaching his 90s Norman, along with wife Mary, who he married at Holy Trinity Church in 1949, is still offering a helping hand at Latchford Post Office, on Knutsford Road, with son Chris now running the store.
Chris wants his dad to be serving the public once he turns 100 and Norman hasn't ruled it out.
He said: "The customers are really nice, they keep me going. If I am fit enough then I will continue going for as long as I can.
"I started as a telegraph boy when I was 14, it has changed so much since then.
"In the old days you would get so many people queuing up but it has all computerised now and is done on machines a lot more, while people tend to do a lot online."
Despite his lengthy tenure with the Post Office in the town, Norman also played a key role in the Second World War.
He was working in fly and control between 1940 and 1945 tasked with directing the spitfire pilots – a duty he is proud to have completed for the country.
The Latchford resident added: "I was called up and went, I won't ever forget that time."
Chris praised his dad for his role in the war, as well as for the dedication to the Post Office.
He said: "We try to embrace the changes and help each other out as much as we can, which is why I think we are getting more business each month.
"I would be really proud if he came in to work when he turns 100 – it is really nice seeing him in here."
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Dedicated 94-year-old Post Office worker has no plans to stop serving the public
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Dedicated 94-year-old Post Office worker has no plans to stop serving the public
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Dedicated 94-year-old Post Office worker has no plans to stop serving the public
- while local school leavers have difficulty finding jobs. 
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
Dedicated 94-year-old Post Office worker has no plans to stop serving the public
oooh, controversial!Lounge Lizard wrote:- while local school leavers have difficulty finding jobs.
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Dedicated 94-year-old Post Office worker has no plans to stop serving the public
greengiant wrote:oooh, controversial!Lounge Lizard wrote:- while local school leavers have difficulty finding jobs.Unless the 94 year old needs to keep working for financial reasons? But perhaps if he took retirement, that would open up a vacancy for someone else? Or is that ageism?
He only came off his round when he was 92 and then got a job at the P.O.
-
Mobey
- Posts: 291
- Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 11:54
- Gender: Male