ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

From postman job to delivering sessions as fully qualified coach at Forest Green

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

From postman job to delivering sessions as fully qualified coach at Forest Green

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/fr ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Image

A former postman who has taken an unconventional route into professional football, Steve Hale is now delivering top coaching sessions at Forest Green as a fully qualified goalkeeping coach.

Hale never played full-time football, plying his trade at Hellenic League and Western League level while holding down a variety of jobs from financial accounting to his role at the Royal Mail.

However, he has developed his reputation as a coach over the last decade and recently gained his UEFA goalkeeping A licence, which he was presented with at Forest Green's training ground in Cirencester.


Hale started the qualification last September while he was at Swindon Town and made four visits to St George's Park in Burton as part of his course along with former Premier League goalkeepers such as Mart Poom, Kevin Pressman, Nick Colgan, while he was assessed in the same group as current Bournemouth coaches Neil Moss and Anthony White.

"I was chuffed to bits to have got it, it's something I set out to do a few years ago," said Hale.

"There are only about 100 A licenced coaches in the whole country so I'm pleased to be one of them.

Read: The man who has played key role behind the scenes in record-breaking run

"I played a lot of non-league football for a lot of teams in the Toolstation and Hellenic Leagues and when I was about 33 I started to have a few niggly injuries.

"I knew my level as a player and I was never going to play high but I knew I had a chance of doing something on the coaching route.

"Whether you have been a pro or amateur the principles of goalkeeping remain the same."

Ten years ago he set up the successful Steve Hale Goalkeeping School in Swindon, coaching children between the ages of seven and 16, and began part-time role in Swindon's Centre of Excellence, while he held coaching positions Chippenham and Cirencester.


Hale earned a full-time role at Swindon Town Academy in 2012, helping Jamie Stephens and Jared Thompson earn big moves to Liverpool and Chelsea respectively before he worked with Wes Foderingham, who is now at Scottish Premiership club Rangers, when he was made head of goalkeeping two years later by current Rovers boss Mark Cooper.

And Hale believes his humble background can help him bring the best out of others.

"I've done a host of different jobs so I've got a lot of life experience as well as football experience," said Hale, who also worked for Sports Italia and Equipment 4 U.

"My pathway is different and that's why I appreciate the position I'm in.

"Getting up at five in the morning for a post round has given me a better appreciation.

"It helps coaching young players because I get that point across to appreciate what they've got and not moan too much because they're in a fantastic position."

Hale dropped down from League One to be reunited with Cooper at current National League leaders Forest Green in the summer, working with three senior and two Academy goalkeepers.

"It was the right time to make that move, it was a fresh challenge at a club trying to go places," said Hale.

"I am ambitious. It sounds funny to say because I dropped down to non-league but I want to work at the highest level possible.

"I took a step down in terms of the league but also for me it's about gaining experience.

"The aim of the club is to get into the Football League and who knows where the club can go from there.

"I want to be the best coach I can be."
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.