ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Waterhayes teenager has pacemaker fitted after major heart defect discovered at screening in memory of postie

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Waterhayes teenager has pacemaker fitted after major heart defect discovered at screening in memory of postie

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/newcastl ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Teenager Lucy Smith has been fitted with a life-saving pacemaker – after a major heart defect was uncovered at a screening set up in memory of a postman.

The 17-year-old was whisked to A&E straightaway after the tests revealed a block causing her heart rate to be dangerously low.

And within 11 days she was in the operating theatre having the pacemaker put in.

Now one month on, she has made a complete recovery and is encouraging others to get themselves checked out.

South Cheshire College student Lucy, from Waterhayes, said: “It's incredible to think I had no idea there was anything wrong until I went to the screening. It's scary what could have happened. Everyone should have these test. You never know, it could save your life."

Lucy was persuaded by her mum Tracey Smith to undergo screenings after they spotted a Cardiac Risk in the Young (CRY) advert for a session at Sir Thomas Boughey High School on September 3.

The event had been paid for by the family of popular postie Daniel Hughes who was found dead in his bed at his Bignall End home in March last year at the age of just 28.

The cardiologist immediately noticed there was something seriously wrong with Lucy's heart and she was taken to the Royal Stoke University Hospital.

image: http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/images/l ... smith2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;



Lucy, who is studying French, German and history, said: “As far as we saw it was just routine. We had no suspicions but we had heard there had been a local tragedy with Dan Hughes.

“I had an ECG and the cardiologist said there was an abnormality but they did another just to be sure.

“I was really shocked, it was scary that I was being told this when I felt fine. I didn't feel that I had a heart condition.

“I went straight to A&E and they got me into a cardiology ward. The doctors deliberated about what should happen because of my age and then recommended a pacemaker.

“It was quite daunting because I didn't know much about pacemakers. All I knew was they were used mainly in older people.

“It was fitted directly into my heart. I can feel it's there but it's not uncomfortable. It doesn't affect my day-to-day activities."

Latest figures show 12 apparently fit and healthy young people aged 35 and under die in the UK each week due to an undiagnosed heart condition.

And mum Tracey is urging other parents to get their children tested.

The 43-year-old said: “I would encourage anybody to get their child tested and to search out for opportunities to do so. I'd also ask people to support CRY who put on these sessions.

“In an ideal scenario, screenings would be compulsory in school. It would pick up abnormalities before anything terrible happened."

Daniel's family raised £7,000 to put on the two-day screenings where 200 young people were tested.

And they have generated enough cash to provide an annual screening weekend for five years.

His dad David, aged 58, of Bignall End, said: “Having lost our son we wanted to prevent this from happening to other families. The fact the screenings caught Lucy's condition highlights their importance.

“This is the first screening we've had in Daniel's name and we're very proud of his legacy. It won't change things but the fact we've been able to save another family from what we went through has made everything worth it.

“Everyone who has helped us raise the money should be proud of themselves as well."

CRY now screens around 23,000 young people every year.

Chief executive Dr Steven Cox said: “Lucy's recent experience illustrates the absolute importance of CRY's screening programme.

“We were all relieved once we heard from Lucy's parents that she had been successfully treated after a swift referral process.

“We are only too aware the diagnosis of a cardiac condition can be a huge shock for the young person being tested as well as the family and friends.

“This was particularly the case for Lucy as it was clear to our doctor on the day, Dr Lynne Miller, something was very wrong and immediate action was required to prevent a potentially catastrophic event.

“When someone is identified with a condition, it reinforces everything that we are trying to achieve at CRY in helping to save young lives.

“I'd like to wish Lucy well in her recovery and thank her and her family for helping us to spread the word."
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.