http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/more-tha ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
MORE than 200 people have attended potentially life-saving heart screening sessions organised in memory of a 28-year-old postman.
Daniel Hughes' family staged the event at the weekend after raising more than £55,000 following his death in March last year.
Spread over two days, the sessions took place at Sir Thomas Boughey High School, in Halmerend.
Now it is set to become an annual event for the next five years, thanks to the impressive fund-raising efforts of Daniel's relatives, friends, colleagues and neighbours.
Daniel's dad, David Hughes, from Bignall End, said: "Since Daniel's death, we have been fund-raising for heart screening sessions.
"Originally, we just wanted them to be for Dan's sister, Kim, and our close relatives and friends. But we've had so much support and it just snowballed."
Since August last year, fund-raising events have included a sponsored cycle ride, a football tournament and a cricket match – with all proceeds being donated to Daniel's Fund at Cardiac Risk in the Young (CRY).
Dave, aged 58, added: "It's given us something to focus on and it's remarkable how much support we have had so far.
"We want to raise awareness among young people that they could be walking around with a underlying heart condition that could take their lives in an instance, like Dan.
"So these sessions will help to detect if there are any problems that they should know about."
Dan's sister Kim, aged 31, from Bignall End, took part in the screening.She said: "I was a bit frightened at first because of what happened to Dan and I opted to have an extra test because of that, but luckily everything came back clear.
"We've had so much support with our fund-raising and that's a testament to Dan and the kind of person he was."
Dan's best friend, 29-year-old Steve Bailey, from Audley, also took part.He said: "This is the second time I've had a screening.
"The first time was shortly after Dan died and, both times, my results have shown up some abnormalities, but the doctor said I've got nothing to worry about.
"I feel perfectly healthy and normal, but a heart defect can affect anybody."
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
More than 200 attend heart-screening at Sir Thomas Boughey High School in Halmerendi
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
More than 200 attend heart-screening at Sir Thomas Boughey High School in Halmerendi
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.