ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Postman Ade cycles round from Great Yarmouth to Spalding for Pilgrim l

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Postman Ade cycles round from Great Yarmouth to Spalding for Pilgrim l

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

http://www.spaldingtoday.co.uk/news/hea ... -1-7423004" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Image

Postman Ade Mills (49) took a break from his round to cycle 115 miles from the Norfolk coast to Spalding for a moving cause.

Ade, of Wygate Park, Spalding, carried the memories of friends and colleagues Robbie Coats and Geoff Smith, who died of cancer in April 2009 and June 2015 respectively, with him when from Great Yarmouth, through Sutton Bridge and Holbeach to Spalding on Sunday.

It was Ade’s fourth cycle ride in aid of Ride for Robbie, a campaign named after Mr Coats to raise money for the cancer ward at Pilgrim Hospital, Boston, where he, Mr Smith and two more of Ade’s workmates are undergoing cancer treatment.


Ade said: “Robbie was an all-round sportsman who was very good at cricket and football, having played in the same Boston United team as (former managers) Jim Smith and Howard Wilkinson.

“I only knew Robbie for about three or four years but in that time, he was an upbeat character and had a huge passion for northern soul and Motown music.

“Geoff was a colleague who worked in Holbeach until he lost his battle with cancer last year and I’ve got two more colleagues who are fighting their battles with this awful disease.”

I only knew Robbie for about three or four years but in that time, he was an upbeat character who was very good at cricket and football
Ade Mills of Spalding and Ride for Robbie 2016

Ade’s first charity bike ride was a 70-mile journey from Grantham to Spalding and back, with Norfolk having been the starting point for each of fundraising journeys in 2012, 2014 and this year.

The postman is on course to raise £10,000 for Pilgrim Hospital which recently benefited from a donation of nearly £30,500 by Boston-based charity, the Detection of Cancer and Treatment Equipment Fund, for the diagnosis of bladder cancer and chemotherapy to patients.


Ade said: “There was excitement and a bit of relief when the day of the Ride for Robbie ride came because I’d put in a tremendous amount of training for the event.

“As a keen cyclist, I did an average of 150 miles a week in training, with most of the rides having been between 40 and 50 miles.

“But the course on Sunday was quite hilly, especially in-between Wells and Cromer, which was something I wasn’t used to on the roads.

“I gave myself nine hours to do the ride so that I could make the most of it, stopping off for something to eat on the way.”


Ade has been a postman for 11 years after previously spending 20 years in retail before deciding on a change of occupation.

“I love the job, although it’s changed a lot in 11 years,” Ade said.

“But I’m a people person and all the people I deliver to regularly was given a leaflet about Ride for Robbie.

“What I like about it is that every time I raise money, I’m shown where it goes.”
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Postman Ade cycles round from Great Yarmouth to Spalding for Pilgrim l

Post by DB1100 »

Well done fella
For we were soldiers once,and young
meercat
Posts: 814
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
Gender: Male

Postman Ade cycles round from Great Yarmouth to Spalding for Pilgrim l

Post by meercat »

Good effort, where do you get the pink RM cycling tops from???