not on facebook
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (UPDATED 2017)... HERE

Postmen threaten to bin David Cameron's taxpayer funded 9.3m pro-EU leaflets next week over 'being forced to be part of propaganda machine'

10 Apr 2016, 09:33

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... flets.html

ANGRY posties could deliver a blow to David Cameron’s referendum campaign by binning his pro-EU leaflets.

They are incensed that the PM wants to increase their workload by getting them to deliver his message to every British home.

Some rebels are threatening to dump the 16-page booklets while others are urging their union to demand extra pay for the service.

One postal worker said: “We were only told a couple of days ago that we have to do a bulk posting service to every house by next Wednesday.

“This is on top of six other door-to-doors we have to do this week.

“We shouldn’t have agreed to it.”

Another said: “I want to leave the EU and don’t really want to assist the campaign to remain.

“I resent being forced to be part of this propaganda machine.”

It could lead to thousands of postal workers voting to leave the EU in the referendum on June 23.

They bombarded union chatrooms with angry messages calling on colleagues not to be used as “unpaid EU messengers”.

One said: “There is simply not enough staff as it is. We are not getting extra money for delivering this.” The threat to bin the leaflets came days after Cabinet rebels blasted the taxpayer-funded £9.3million mailshot.

They claimed it is wrong at a time of Government cost-cutting and said the cash would have been better spent on the NHS.

Tory MEP Daniel Hannan urged people to show their anger by sending the leaflet back as junk mail.

But if the posties carry out their threat, many homes may not even get it in the first place.

Mr Cameron has defended his decision to send out millions of leaflets making the case for staying in the EU ahead of the referendum, insisting that it is “money well spent”.

Postmen threaten to bin David Cameron’s taxpayer funded £9.3m pro-EU leaflets next week over 'being forced to be part of propaganda machine'

10 Apr 2016, 09:35

Union Chatroom :left: :left: :left: :arrrghhh :arrrghhh

Attention Sun Journo: We have no affiliation with either Royal Mail or the Communications Workers Union (CWU), except that most of our members work for Royal Mail and/or are members of the CWU.

Postmen threaten to bin David Cameron’s taxpayer funded £9.3m pro-EU leaflets next week over 'being forced to be part of propaganda machine'

10 Apr 2016, 09:58

load of shite, if we refused we'd be sacked for wilful delay.

10 Apr 2016, 11:56

We'll just leave in all our parcels Tracked and knock-ons (as we usually do),so our customers can receive these coveted EU ref leaflets. Our walks are too long as it is w/o the extra unpaid workload!!!

10 Apr 2016, 15:46

daveyeff wrote:load of shite, if we refused we'd be sacked for wilful delay.

would,nt clean my a.. with that rag of a so called paper

Postmen threaten to bin David Cameron's taxpayer funded 9.3m pro-EU leaflets next week over 'being forced to be part of propaganda machine'

10 Apr 2016, 17:15

Some people get so wound up about Households and Polling Cards. It's all Royal Mail work that we get paid to do. I'm sure we've all been delivering adverts for Conservatories to Blocks of Flats, Double Glazing to Housing Association Properties and Stairlifts to Bungalows :crazy:

As previously mentioned we can't decide what we want to deliver and what we don't want to deliver. Just "Work Properly" and Follow The Over Running Procedure. It wouldn't surprise me if many of the Posties who are worried about having enough time to deliver these Booklets, aren't the same ones who come in early, throw off households in their own time and fail to take their Meal Relief! If Royal mail want this business make sure they're paying the correct price for it! :cuppa

10 Apr 2016, 17:48

Exactly, just deliver them. I don't understand why they pay us any extra for whatever we deliver, I'm not going to turn down the money for the polling cards etc but seriously, it is all work and all revenue. I wouldn't care if I had to deliver BNP leaflets to an area where people might be offended. It is not my decision, I am just paid to deliver the stuff. Nobody has to read it.

11 Apr 2016, 06:37

Surreypostie wrote:Exactly, just deliver them. I don't understand why they pay us any extra for whatever we deliver, I'm not going to turn down the money for the polling cards etc but seriously, it is all work and all revenue. I wouldn't care if I had to deliver BNP leaflets to an area where people might be offended. It is not my decision, I am just paid to deliver the stuff. Nobody has to read it.

Well said Sir

12 Apr 2016, 11:50

Hello,

I'm a producer for RT the 24 hour news channel broadcast globally and online at www.rt.com

We're following up from reports postmen aren't happy regarding the governments EU leaflets http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... flets.html

We're looking to film a short interview with anyone who isn't happy about having to deliver them. If that's you and you'd be up for doing an interview with us then please get in touch with me on wmcwilliams@rttv.ru

Thanks.

Warren

12 Apr 2016, 12:19

Including the EU leaflet I have two D2Ds this week. I'd rather do that than the 8 I could have had!

(Follow up from The Sun . ha ha ha ha Just make up your own story with actors - no need for facts when its The Sun)

12 Apr 2016, 12:30

So journalists have registered on RMC to read the forums and the only thing they can find that's newsworthy is something about EU leaflets! It beggars belief with all the posts on here about bullying, intimidation, unreasonable workloads unjustified sackings etc etc etc that they choose to write about bloody leaflets.

12 Apr 2016, 12:37

rtproducer wrote:Hello,

I'm a producer for RT the 24 hour news channel broadcast globally and online at http://www.rt.com

We're following up from reports postmen aren't happy regarding the governments EU leaflets http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... flets.html

We're looking to film a short interview with anyone who isn't happy about having to deliver them. If that's you and you'd be up for doing an interview with us then please get in touch with me on wmcwilliams@rttv.ru

Thanks.

Warren

With respect, it's a non story picked up by, well you know who looking for headlines.
By you chasing it you're doing the same.

It really was just a couple of posties having a moan.

12 Apr 2016, 14:00

ziggy wrote:So journalists have registered on RMC to read the forums and the only thing they can find that's newsworthy is something about EU leaflets! It beggars belief with all the posts on here about bullying, intimidation, unreasonable workloads unjustified sackings etc etc etc that they choose to write about bloody leaflets.

Journalists know what sells papers, and if this is the story they want that's up to them. :thumbup
Any postal worker unhappy about delivering the referendum leaflets can either be interviewed, with the risks that that entails, or not be interviewed. :Applause
I wouldn't expect it any other way. :cuppa

Previous page Next page

Page 1 of 1