ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

URINE CLOSE STILL BANNED THREE MONTHS AFTER POSTMAN SLIPPED

Latest Royal Mail and CWU news.This is an open forum.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

URINE CLOSE STILL BANNED THREE MONTHS AFTER POSTMAN SLIPPED

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/2016 ... n-slipped/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

A DUNDEE close where mail deliveries are banned after a postman slipped on urine is failing weekly safety inspections.

Royal Mail suspended deliveries to flats at 221 Albert Street in late December, and the ban has been in place ever since.

The postal firm has been carrying out a weekly check to assess if the close is fit for staff to access.

Residents are still being advised to collect their mail from Dundee East Delivery Office.

Royal Mail has safety concerns for its staff as two parts of the stairwell are missing a handrail, while two window frames have been completely removed.

The close has also been targeted with graffiti and vandalism.

One resident living at a flat in the close, who asked not to be named, said: “I’m disappointed this is still the case.

“I have made alternative arrangement to receive my mail and the staff at the Dundee East office have been very helpful.

“As you can see, the close is still in a very bad condition.

“I have lived here for five years and the situation has definitely got worse. I’ve had problems before with kids putting rubbish through my letterbox.

“It does upset me when I see kids standing in the close but I do know my landlord has been in contact with the council to try to reach a solution.

“I haven’t personally seen anyone inspecting the close but I hope a solution is reached.”

The issue was first raised with the Tele by Aftab Alam Quereshi, who has lived in the close for 18 years.

He’s experienced problems with anti-social behaviour as well as with the condition of the close.

He said: “There are still no lights within the close and the block still isn’t safe.”

A Royal Mail spokeswoman said: “Royal Mail is working closely with the council on this case.

“We are carrying out risk assessments regularly and the state of building has not changed. There are no handrails on the stairs and there are no window frames in the stair windows.

“If someone was to fall or trip this could cause a serious accident.

“Unfortunately, deliveries to customers will remain suspended until the situation is made safe to allow our postmen to deliver.

“We apologise for the inconvenience to customers who can continue to pick up mail from the delivery office.”

A Dundee City Council spokesman said: “The council is continuing to hold discussions with tenants and owners about financial support that could be available when certain criteria are met.”
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.