http://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/14 ... n_retires/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
http://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/resources/images/4867914/
TROWBRIDGE’s oldest postman set off on his final round on Saturday after announcing he is retiring.
Michael Ruddle, of Hazel Grove, has been a postman for the Royal Mail in the town for the last 12 years and believes he is currently the oldest postie still doing a daily round.
The 66-year-old stumbled into the profession after being made redundant from the printing trade.
“I started my apprenticeship at the Wiltshire Times in 1966 to 1971 as a compositor and I stayed in the printing industry at Redwood Press until 2002,” he said.
“I was eventually made redundant, but saying that, it was the best thing that could have happened to me. I went on holiday and it was when I got home I found out there was no job to come home to.
“I had a couple of friends who were postmen and they said to me why I don’t become one.”
Mr Ruddle said: “I was brought up in Steeple Ashton until I was seven and then we moved into Trowbridge. The ironic thing since becoming a postman is that I have been able to go back to Steeple Ashton and work as their postman as well as for other villages for a few years now.
“Over the years you do gather fond memories of the times you are out and about but because I was born and raised in Steeple Ashton, I still see people I went to school with and I have managed to keep being friends with them which is one highlight for me.
“Most people retire but I stayed on because I enjoy what I do, but now it has got to the stage where I thought it would be the best time to give it up."
“Having a job after being made redundant was a necessity and I like the outdoors so it was perfect timing really.”
Mr Ruddle said he is going to enjoy spending time with his wife as well as decorating their new bungalow.
He added: “The last round will be a sad day. I will miss my colleagues because we do have banter and I'll miss the people you see on your round.I’ve been invited in for a cuppa before now when out in Steeple Ashton and it is things like that which make the job worth it.”
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Trowbridge's oldest current postman retires
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Trowbridge's oldest current postman retires
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
ferndale
- Posts: 7
- Joined: 17 Feb 2011, 15:48
- Gender: Male
Trowbridge's oldest current postman retires
Postman on Glasgow G11/12 is 67 and still going .
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Trowbridge's oldest current postman retires
We have a 69 year old - on a hilly duty as well

All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
Trowbridge's oldest current postman retires
Mr Ruddle said he is going to enjoy spending time with his wife as well as decorating their new bungalow - and maybe time for a breakfast in the local WetherspoonsTrueBlueTerrier wrote:http://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/14 ... n_retires/?
http://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/resources/images/4867914/
TROWBRIDGE’s oldest postman set off on his final round on Saturday after announcing he is retiring.
Michael Ruddle, of Hazel Grove, has been a postman for the Royal Mail in the town for the last 12 years and believes he is currently the oldest postie still doing a daily round.
The 66-year-old stumbled into the profession after being made redundant from the printing trade.
“I started my apprenticeship at the Wiltshire Times in 1966 to 1971 as a compositor and I stayed in the printing industry at Redwood Press until 2002,” he said.
“I was eventually made redundant, but saying that, it was the best thing that could have happened to me. I went on holiday and it was when I got home I found out there was no job to come home to.
“I had a couple of friends who were postmen and they said to me why I don’t become one.”
Mr Ruddle said: “I was brought up in Steeple Ashton until I was seven and then we moved into Trowbridge. The ironic thing since becoming a postman is that I have been able to go back to Steeple Ashton and work as their postman as well as for other villages for a few years now.
“Over the years you do gather fond memories of the times you are out and about but because I was born and raised in Steeple Ashton, I still see people I went to school with and I have managed to keep being friends with them which is one highlight for me.
“Most people retire but I stayed on because I enjoy what I do, but now it has got to the stage where I thought it would be the best time to give it up."
“Having a job after being made redundant was a necessity and I like the outdoors so it was perfect timing really.”
Mr Ruddle said he is going to enjoy spending time with his wife as well as decorating their new bungalow.
He added: “The last round will be a sad day. I will miss my colleagues because we do have banter and I'll miss the people you see on your round.I’ve been invited in for a cuppa before now when out in Steeple Ashton and it is things like that which make the job worth it.”
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -hand.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-
UnhappyGremlin
- Posts: 2685
- Joined: 18 May 2012, 20:49
- Gender: Male
- Location: Hiding
Trowbridge's oldest current postman retires
Bet there's not many who'd be passing this advice on now.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:“I had a couple of friends who were postmen and they said to me why I don’t become one.”
Pretty sure there aren't many of us who'll be able to say this in the future.TrueBlueTerrier wrote:“He added: “The last round will be a sad day."
Sometimes, I wish I wasn't a Rep.