http://www.maidenhead-advertiser.co.uk/ ... 032016.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
Gurpal Rana is jetting off on Saturday, March 19 to start his climb to the summit of Africa’s highest mountain, standing at nearly 6,000 metres.
Formerly a professional climber in India, Gurpal worked in the Himalayas and would be a guide for the tourists and fundraisers who headed into the mountains there.
The 43-year-old moved to Cippenham two years ago from Delhi with his wife Savita and two children.
He is raising money for the Stroke Association, which is also the charity of the year of his employer the Royal Mail.
Royal Mail has promised to match every pound raised by the adventurer. So far he has collected around £900.
Gurpal said: “It is exciting to do this for charity. I know I can do it and it’s good to know I am fundraising for charity, raising as much money as possible.
“I am trying to do something different every year. Next year I want to try and do something more challenging again for charity. I feel happier knowing it is helping people.”
Full of experience of various climbs and walks, last year Gurpal trekked to the Mount Everest base camp.
To train for Kilimanjaro he has been doing three or four walks of 10 miles a week, practising carrying kit and taking in different hill gradients.
He added that his wife was nervous when he did his Everest base camp climb, but knowing what he is capable of doing she feels more relaxed about his next trip.
Gurpal’s climb will start the day after he touches down in Tanzania joined only by a guide on the walk to the summit.
He said: “My managers and colleagues have been very supportive. This is my first time fundraising for charity.
“I’m excited and nervous.”
Visit http://www.sponsorme.co.uk/gurpalrana/g ... -trek.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to support Gurpal.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Postman to climb Kilimanjaro in aid of the Stroke Association
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Postman to climb Kilimanjaro in aid of the Stroke Association
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.