http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Everest ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ed Buckingham became the first Cornishman to climb Everest and went on to bag the Seven Summits: scaling the highest peak on every continent. Now the 43-year-old Royal Mail worker from Saltash has documented his achievement in a book, 7 Summits.
Q What was the first mountain you climbed and why did you do it?
A Kilimanjaro in 1999, for two reasons: to get myself motivated again after fracturing my foot and eating too many crisps and digestive biscuits, and for a different type of holiday than in the sun by the pool/beach.
Q Why mountains as a challenge and not oceans or deserts?
A I am not keen on the ocean and I don’t think I would cope well in the desert. Not exactly hot and dry in the South West is it? I like the beauty and presence of mountains. The relative lack of people takes you away from everyday life, traffic and attention. Of course there is the extreme satisfaction you get if you are successful.
Q You spent about £80,000 on the climbs. How did you afford that?
A Being from Cornwall perhaps we are renowned for having deep pockets! I have always been able to save. But there were times when I sacrificed going out for meals or socialising to save money.
Q What did it feel like getting to the top of Earth?
A I did not think about it because a summit is not recorded until you safely get back down again. Most accidents happen on the descent. In the 20 minutes I had on top I can remember everything I did. I had listed the things I wanted to do and went through them one by one. Even though the mind is working hard it takes a little longer for the body to respond at 8,848m (29,035ft).
Q What was the scariest moment you have had?
A Having to spend another night in the “death zone” (where there is not enough oxygen to sustain human life) on Everest after a summit day of 15 hours. I was too shattered to go down any further. I spent nearly two days in the “death zone”. When I descended the next day the weather had deteriorated with 50-60mph winds. Nobody was going to the summit.
Q Now you have done the seven, what keeps you motivated?
A Writing my book and getting it out on sale. I also like going into schools and talking about my experiences. If I can inspire anybody it’s pleasing.
Q Do you have an ultimate goal or climb and if so, what?
A I still have a love of the mountains and retain an interest in them. Since Antarctica in 2014 I have climbed Carstensz Pyramid (4,884m) in Papua New Guinea, Eiger (3,970m) and Matterhorn (4,478m) in Switzerland and am off to Scotland in a couple of weeks. Having experienced two 8,000m peaks I am not sure I want to do another. Perhaps I will go back to the Himalayas to see how the country is recovering after the earthquakes of 2015 and do a climb. There are plenty to choose from.
You can find out more about 7 Summits at onecornishman.com and via edwardbuckingham895@msn.com
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Everest climber from Cornwall on his 7 Summits challenge
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Everest climber from Cornwall on his 7 Summits challenge
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.